TurboCAD Mac Forum

Register

New TurboCAD Mac 2D/3D Training Essentials

SAving drawing as PDF/ printing issues
Read 3465 times
* June 01, 2013, 11:29:09 AM
So I want to save my drawings as PDFs to be printed as full scale. These are big drawings at least 6 feet long that I will bring to a print shop to be printed on a large format printer. I tried saving as PDF but it did not display the lines. It only displays the dimension markings. I have played around a bit but I can not seem to make it display the line drawing correctly. Any help will be appreciated.

I tried printing layers and  saving as PDF from the print window this does not work either. It just gives me a blank page 200mm high by 2000mm long.

I'm using TC designer7. I can make the drawing print out on multiple sheets but this introduces too much error as I then have to manually tape these together to make a full lenght drawing. These drawings come out perfectly scaled 1:1 as I'd like. I just need to make it print out full lenght.

Very frustrating
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 01:25:51 PM by WhiteRoom Skis »

June 01, 2013, 02:25:51 PM
Yes it is Whiteroom!
this is where things get "fun" first off,most PDF writers don't play well with our /Lion/TC so:
Go into the file>page setup,and set up your page, then,setup the (preview)"Manage custom sizes"and set your paper size there.Now, you should be set, but most likely not.
How big is the paper? I did get a 160X18' setup with Model to sheet, and that sorta mostly worked- I still needed to adjust a lot for any text to show.
edit--- try this story---
http://tcmacforum.imsisupport.com/index.php?topic=1478.0
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 02:27:29 PM by JBorlaug »

* June 01, 2013, 02:51:59 PM
We've had similar problems in TurboCAD Windows. Turning down the Print Quality has helped. See the bottom of Page Setup page in the TurboCAD Wiki. Maybe this will work for Mac.

* June 01, 2013, 03:52:52 PM
I need my paper to be at least 200mm wide by 2000mm long or 9 x78 in inches. This should make the PDF long enough to print in full length on a large format printer.

I've done exactly what you describe and no luck. I can only get the dimension lines to show in the PDF preview. It is driving me nuts, this doesn't seem like it should be this tough.

I guess until I get this problem figured out I'll have to tape the sheet together. I did one and measures all the diagonals and triangles I could measure and it came out perfect.

I'd prefer printing full lenght drawings though.

* June 01, 2013, 03:54:03 PM
I'll try the print quality thing, but this kind of defeats my purpose. I'm building custom skis and need to be a prefect as I can. Turning down the print quality might not give me the smooth curve lines I need.

June 01, 2013, 05:40:17 PM
White Room!
I opened my Designer to do a test. First off, there are some items within the help section that are needed- such as setting up the drawing space.I tried an old pic, and it came in ok, but there is no layer printing available. I have a PDF, but it's 2 15 M's, so my original post 'kicked off' from view.As you mentioned earlier, with the 'paste' mode, I'm mostly sure you can bring the file to the printer, and all will be well.Also, I got nuddin' when doing large paper layout/setup,but tiled has all the info's i needed/wanted.
Is it affordable for you to upgrade to Deluxe? the biggest issue between deluxe and pro is in the rendering / movies.
Also, during my setup, i had this screen'jump' (pic) just close and restart.
Johnny

* June 01, 2013, 05:58:21 PM
Has anyone used a 3rd party converter like a dxf to pdf converter.

It may be something with my drawing space vs. my printing space I guess. I guess I'll have to play with it more. I'll have to look into delux or a 3rd party converter maybe.

June 01, 2013, 09:32:48 PM
I Picked the PDF to CAD, but learned that you just can't pull in any file- it MUST be vectored file set, otherwise, all you get is a K count for an empty sheet of paper!I'm sure it's the same in reverse.

June 02, 2013, 08:20:27 AM
I guess we need a printer compatible with the Lion- my 4140 HP is only good for 10.5

* June 06, 2013, 01:13:44 PM
I've been working with michael from TC tech support and still having a tough time getting the PDFs to save correctly. He was able to convert a file I sent him into something I can take to the print shop but I am still missing something. I'm beating my head against the wall a bit on this one. if anyone has any more help they can offer I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Vin

June 06, 2013, 06:19:22 PM
more inputt please!how about a screenshot of your setup? getting tiled pics Ok? I'll be stopping@ Office shop tomorrow after werkville, so I'mm 'gig stickin' a file of mine to view. (large format printers)

* June 07, 2013, 04:59:33 AM
I'm getting only dimension marks and lines to show up I can't get the outline drawing of the ski to show. My drawing space and my printing space match. I can see that in the layout screen. But when I create the PDF the lines are not present.

I can send the file to Michael and he can create the PDF no problem. There has to be something I'm doing wrong but I don't know what it is.

I'll post examples later I have to go build skis now.

* November 14, 2016, 12:33:49 PM
Is there any update to this discussion?  Was the poster's problem ever solved?  I am working with Version 7 of TurboCAD Mac Pro and trying to do something very similar to the original poster of this thread.  I am now trying to confirm with the software publisher if I can do what I want to do by upgrading to the latest version of the software.  See the following question that I have posted to IMSI sales.

To be clear, I think I am trying to do pretty much the same things that one of the posters on the tcmacforum.imsisupport.com was describing back in 2013 (obviously on an earlier version of TurboCAD Mac (see post by WhiteRoom Skis on June 1, 2013 at 11:29:09 AM).  I am a woodworker who designs his furniture on TurboCAD Mac.  Just like WhiteRoom Skis, I had previously printed out my design templates on a household printer on 8 1/2 x 11 sheets and then taped those sheets together to make a full size template pattern that I could take to my shop and use to make a template on Masonite to cut out identical parts.  Taping together multiple pages precisely inevitably introduces some inaccuracy.  I have now found a local printer who can print out templates on continuous paper with widths up to 36” and I want to take an exported file to him to print out and avoid having to tape multiple sheets together.  His printer can take .pdf files but my version of TurboCAD does not provide an option of exporting .pdf files.  I have tried to use the “print to .pdf” option in my iMac’s printer dialogue to produce a .pdf file, but it appears to always produce the file formatted for my printer and has page breaks built in for printing on 8 1/2 x 11 paper.  I have also tried to export the file as a .jpeg, then open it  in my Preview and then export is as a .pdf. But here, I fear that I am not preserving the proper scale.

November 14, 2016, 02:15:45 PM
 Welcome to the forum jstroebel! we haven't really" bumped" this story, maybe Dave could set this on the top of the list, as it is quite popular: V7 is very stable for the printing setups, and I can appreciate how you n eed the custom parts/sizings.
Did you see the "go here" on my first reply to Whitwater skis's request? this will help get all set up, now a lot of times, adobe will butt it's head into the (Preview app) needed settings, and when you get all to ( "export"> move to your USB stick for the local printer, be verified, be sure to use Preview as the page opener.I had also experienced one trip to Office depot, that the kids didn't know how to link to the proper printer, so a 3 way communication is necessary:
TCMac to Preview
Preview to USB
USB to 36" wide printer
 I hope this helps more than confuses!
 Johnny

* November 15, 2016, 06:36:32 AM
Johnny, I do so appreciate you taking the time to read and reply to my post--and so promptly.  I am afraid, perhaps because I am not very good at TurboCAD, that i do not fully comprehend your advice (and I did go back and read through the earlier thread in your conversation with WhiteRoom Skis).

Here is what I  have attempted again this morning.

I have saved a 2-D (Front View) of my template in its own layer.  I then select it and use the Page Layout Dialogue box to select the paper size and height and width Scale of the Drawing--See Page Layout View Attachment.  As you can see, I have used the Height and Width setup mode and defined a paper size roughly equal to the full-scale size of my drawing.  I have chosen 1-1 full scale.

I then went to the Page Set Up dialogue box and formatted my print options to "Any Printer" and selected a custom paper size (16"x60") to accommodate my drawing size with Scale set at 100%.  See Page Set Up Dialogue attachment.

I then said "OK" and went to my File-Print Option and selected Print to .pdf. and saved the drawing.  Now when I go back to open the .pdf file I saved in Preview, it is simply blank.

I have also tried exporting my drawing with all the above print options in place as a .jpeg.  This works to save the image, but when I reimport the .jpeg back into TC, it is, of course, an image, but when I try to roughly gauge its size by measuring the "Verify Distance Point to Point", it suggests is is only 20" long when it should be almost 60".  I am therefore assuming that it will not print out to proper size.

If you can point our to me where I am going wrong, I would greatly appreciate it.  I think that my local printer will need a full size .pdf file to print out my full size template.  As I said in my original post, I am trying to determine whether the latest version of TC Mac Pro will accommodate what I am trying to do.  If it will, it is worth the price for me to upgrade.