TurboCAD Mac Forum

Register

New TurboCAD Mac 2D/3D Training Essentials

New Speaker System Video
Read 5257 times
* July 16, 2013, 08:06:06 PM
I just put this together over the weekend after having 2 machines working much of the previous week rendering the clips. This is an accurate drawing of the full prototype and 1st production version of this speaker system. The 1st set is sold and the racks are drilled and tapped and heading the the plater's later this week. I've got to mill the tweeter fairings and make the crossover boxes (Small cylinder in the base of the rack) and then all of the wood gets finished.

Play this with speakers turned up loud. It's pompous as can be...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=AzYjQOWshpE

Here's a clip of the prototype a couple of months ago while I was still mulling over ideas for a nice looking solution to the tweeter size and rigging:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lO60hT0iG2M

Using TurboCAD and Kludging my way through the learning curve has been indispensable for both this project and the custom home I've been building for the last couple of years. Using 3d tools I've been able to model all of the hardware in virtual space and so the finished product looks just the way it is supposed to...

eso
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 08:08:48 PM by E_Overman »

eso
E_Overman

July 17, 2013, 04:56:13 AM
Beautiful Job!
Everything looks great.

Darren

3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 iMac, 24GB 2012 27" iMac running Yosemite - 2014 i5 Mac Mini, 4GB 500HD Running Yosemite.

* July 17, 2013, 05:49:59 AM
Eso,

WOW! very impressive design!

~monizuka

July 17, 2013, 02:57:15 PM
WWhoawahoo! Huge beautyusness!

* July 17, 2013, 09:03:13 PM
Love the kind of 19C industrial futurism look of the speakers! Is that just a stylistic statement or is the facetted trumpet shape what makes the sound so good?
And that looks like an interesting painting on your workshop wall.

Cheers,
Nick

* August 13, 2013, 06:31:20 PM
Love the kind of 19C industrial futurism look of the speakers! Is that just a stylistic statement or is the facetted trumpet shape what makes the sound so good?
And that looks like an interesting painting on your workshop wall.

I don't currently have the tooling to make parts that size fully round, although I do have my eye on a machine that could do it if the funds present themselves. Having said that, the customer purchasing the first production set tells us that among audiophiles in Japan the dodecahedrons are better sounding than full round.

The painting is from a series I showed in the '90s.

Here's a new edit with a few changes. I've almost got to a seamless edit. I made the corrections to the base drawing today but it will take a
week to render the clips.

This is built from one fly-by of 1350 frames rendered at 1280X720, H.264 codec and 29.97 fps, and three paths of 480 frames with all the same specifics. Getting a seamless edit between the fly-by and the paths has been tricky, but one final correction to the reference path should complete the whole shot seamlessly.

The disappearing speaker cabinets was another fun edit requiring rendering the same sequence with some different layers showing and hidden.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMiKmjc2T5M

eso

eso
E_Overman

August 13, 2013, 06:53:19 PM
Verry Tasety eso! so consider this for your paths: from first line, establish direction, connect all endpoints, then join the lines-9 connection wioll probably close any gaps) then verify direction and run- just thinkin'- i know- i'm scary that way! ;D

* August 13, 2013, 07:02:45 PM
ESO,

Wow!! very nice!

Enjoy
Mitch

* August 13, 2013, 07:03:14 PM
That's sort of what I did John, but since the base shot is a fly-by it is looking at 1 point always. So, the paths all have to begin and end at that point. If done correctly I then just cut the main fly-by at the proper frame and insert the path clip. I had a vet small gap in the reference path that I thought was less than a frame's travel, but it still creates a jump. So I fixed that.

I may have to make something else disappear. Those are a tricky edit but it sure looks cool.

eso

eso
E_Overman

August 13, 2013, 09:52:58 PM
Understand! Your definately hangin' in big guy territory with that series!

* August 29, 2013, 04:46:51 PM
Here's the full seamless version with all the corrections. It's 4 video clips, one fly by and three paths. Two of the paths are rendered twice with different drawing layers hidden or exposed. The only tricks are the crossfades between the paths that makes the parts disappear. Other than that there is only cutting at specific points to switch between the various clips.

Now I need to figure out how to add the copy without having any fade outs providing a nice black background.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMYS9VDftn0&feature=youtu.be

eso

eso
E_Overman

August 29, 2013, 04:55:06 PM
Beautiful Job Eso!
I really like the fade outs to show details. Great!
What do you use for video editing?

Darren
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 05:03:49 PM by Darren »

3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 iMac, 24GB 2012 27" iMac running Yosemite - 2014 i5 Mac Mini, 4GB 500HD Running Yosemite.

August 29, 2013, 05:35:20 PM
Camtasia will do that for ya eso! very nice indeed! 8) ;D

* August 29, 2013, 09:56:42 PM
Great looking video - really liked it.

Enjoy
Mitch

* August 30, 2013, 12:09:24 AM
Darren, I assemble it in iMovie HD. I'm getting to where I think I might like something better, but it is a pretty simple program with pretty good options and a decent look. My stuff has gotten better since I started rendering it all 1280X720 in H.264

eso

By the way, the completed set is nearly completion. We just picked up the racks from the plater's yesterday. They look great with the brushed nickel finish. And the just did the final fitting of the crossover boxes this afternoon. I've got 2-3 more little fabrication chores to finish before the I finish the wood, then we get to final assembly. They will look like the pictures, but in the real world...

« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 12:16:17 AM by E_Overman »

eso
E_Overman