TurboCAD Mac Forum

Register

New TurboCAD Mac 2D/3D Training Essentials

High Sierra surface to surface intersect crash
Read 112 times
March 17, 2019, 04:10:26 AM
OK Gang! Because no matter how 'perfectly' I set up a wing ( elliptical again) I never get either stitching or a proper extruded airfoil ( 150 points/ lines per foil) to 'land' on Z Zero, so I figured I'd try to play surfaces. Once I got my surfaces collected the best I could, I tried a surface intersect with an infinite plane(s). CArash! here's the result. I can setup a small file, but it's going to take about 4 hours to return to my last save point!- Yes, things were going smoothly, and I purposely did not save before the intersects!
 More if needed!
Johnny

* March 18, 2019, 04:18:29 PM
Hi Johnny,

Thought you would like to look at this:

https://www.darcorp.com/sharkcad-pro-ap-aeronautic-software/

An abort was called because of a pointer being released that did not exist:

abort() called
*** error for object 0x3ff0000000000000: pointer being freed was not allocated

Forward that to Tim so he can scratch his head over it.

Looks like the drawing was downloaded from someone else. Wouldn't a conic be a better choice for a leading edge? I can't tell from the image what you are trying to do here.

Enjoy
Mitch

March 18, 2019, 08:57:04 PM
Thanks for that Mitch! Yes, I'm interested, so I have the vid on 'watch later' and I've bookmarked Shark for a return! I will be Fwding to Tim!
SO-----
'my' story starts here, with involvement in this particular bird  https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2955371-Yellow-Jacket-2M-Competition   ( In the parent group= (Thermal) having the beginnings a handful of years ago, The Germans figured out how to get phenomenal performance , while reducing bird weights by 1/2- 2/3 ( Now a 'heavy' bird is 16 oz.). This brings up a whole new can of beans to the CAD fray, as now, instead of the 'normal' leading edge point, sanded to locations, a ( usually) 1/8" diameter carbon rod is the Leading Edge, along with a spar of (about) 10-12MM= 1/2" Carbon tube being the main structure backbone- instead of 'old fashioned' I Beam construction methods (I preferr) I decided to help one of the "grandpas" of RC Soaring to finish his 'dream bird'. I figured I would "do the short route" with infinite planes instead of my 'old fashioned' " solid" surface intersection. Long about #5, I realized I forgot to change pen colors from my Yellow surfaces, and intersected #6 when I lost the load. I now went "old fashioned" and all iz good! It's one of those days when I wished I hadn't 'gone online'- things were never this "intense" with pencils and Velum! :D

March 19, 2019, 12:41:21 PM
Thanks Mitch!
7500 for license,800 year for pro,=3K and 1K for hobby, but seems worthit! :D

* March 19, 2019, 08:34:40 PM
I thought it would be pretty spendy but not that much. I hope it works for you and you get your monies worth.

Enjoy
Mitch

March 20, 2019, 03:21:34 AM
I don't care @ this point Mitch! I've had 8 dissapeared sets of lines one more force quit, the wife said " do what you need to do"-I'm a tad surprised, but I'm really getting pissed for how what would have cost 8 hours on my Macbook and Version 7 has taken 42 now!
 No more time for this!- I'm thawed out, it's headed for 50 degrees, and I still don't have any airplanes to hold in my hand! :(

* March 20, 2019, 12:38:43 PM
Wow, Johnny, I had no idea you are having this much trouble. I feel your frustration, hope this works out for you.

I'm not having any issues like you but I do save often just in case.

Enjoy
Mitch

March 20, 2019, 02:42:28 PM
Yes Mitch!
 I have demo "in hand" from Mary Joe, and I AM pulling the trigger on the CAD, I don't do that much (none yet) flow modeling, so Flightstream would be later- all good, as that's Windows (7) only. I WON'T upgrade either my Macbook ( Last PPC ( Lion?) machine- for MacFoil- which will plot and export from dat to DXF for CAD ( with camber etc) and No upgrade for the Lenovo due to Makerware conversions for the makerbot formated SD Card- 3DPrint=
build file in Mac
export to usb
input USB into Lenovo ( and now due to 64 bit on Mini mac) and drive Makerware for Gcode of Makerbot-X3G
then export to Makerbot USB-
A long path, but I have never had a data crash this way!= Data crashing is so bad, that smart people  have built a "power outage' and filiament MT stop/ restart in the new programs/ slicers!
tormentyalater!    Johnny

* March 23, 2019, 12:29:02 PM
After you get some time using Shark I would like some of your opinions of it. I have tried a trial version but couldn't justify the extra cost for it, TubroCAD has some Shark features, it's halfway between ViaCAD Pro and Shark so I still prefer TurboCAD. I also like the 3D symbols in TC but They can be moved to VC/Shark for use there.

There was a question on the VC forum about the missing Thread tool in V11 PP. This was the reply:

You'll need an update. Contact support and they should send you a link. The functions are missing from their released download file. I have 1422 (I think) and its under modify in the power pack menu

You might want to follow up on this. No clue if this also applies to TC PP.

Enjoy
Mitch