TurboCAD Mac Forum

Register

New TurboCAD Mac 2D/3D Training Essentials

Layers
Read 1263 times
* April 05, 2019, 07:32:07 AM
I have never had this issue before.

I imported a .png file and then using another layer traced the outline. Normally the tracing is on top of the .png file but now my lines all go back behind the .png layer.  I can easily select the .png layer and "Send to the Back" which solves the problem for lines already drawn.  However, as soon as I try and draw a new line on the other layer again the line is automatically sent to the back behind the .png image.

Any ideas?

Pete

* April 06, 2019, 12:49:25 PM
Normally the tracing is on top of the .png file but now my lines all go back behind the .png layer.

When did this change for you? I looked at V9 and that version puts the trace lines under the image. After loading the image select it and under the "Object Properties" "Display" tab click on "Transparency". Your trace lines should be easier to see and the amount of transparency can be adjusted using the "Opacity" slider under the "View" -> "Shade Options". Changing line color might give a better contrast with the image if the two colors are close.

Enjoy
Mitch

* April 08, 2019, 02:40:00 AM
As always thanks for the prompt reply Mitch.

I am on version 10.0.3 can't remember when this version was updated on my computer last.  The problem has only been an issue in the past few weeks.

I have tried the transparency changes as suggested but still the problem occurs.  I have the png image showing, I trace a line on another layer or even on the same layer and the line disappears behind the .png image.

It is very frustrating and hard to work with.  I have to keep hiding the image and then selecting all the lines and then going to edit/arrange and bring to front.

Do you have any other ideas?

Pete

* April 08, 2019, 01:13:31 PM
Can you post an example file? I would have a better idea of what you are dealing with. To the best of my knowledge, nothing has changed and you say that this problem is new but you have not upgraded so it must be a setting. I'll take a look at your drawing and see what I can suggest.

Enjoy
Mitch

* April 09, 2019, 02:37:56 AM
Hello Mitch

Very strange I have just started a new file and all is well.   Cannot understand but unless it returns I shall not bother you again on this one.

Your help and response is always very welcome and appreciated.

Pete

* May 14, 2019, 07:35:23 AM
Hello Mitch

Thanks for your input on this issue the other week.  Unfortunately the problem seems to still exist and try as i may I cannot get to the bottom of the problem.

In the past I have been able make a layer and import a .png file and then trace the outline on another layer on top of the .png imported image.

I did a quicktime file but it is too big to post.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

.tcd file attached as requested.

Pete

* May 14, 2019, 07:38:44 AM
Here is the file again.

Mitch

When I posted it the first time I had clicked bring forward so the line was on top of the .png imported image.

Also attached is screen dump showing the line above and below the image but being obscured by  the image in the middle.

Hope you understand what I am driving at.

Pete

* May 14, 2019, 06:51:54 PM
Hi Pottypete,

I've been doing some testing here and I can duplicate the problem. It seems that changing the layer after importing the image is the source of the problem. Create the layer first then make it active and import the image, all the trace lines will remain on top of the image. You can't even force them under the image using the "Arrange" tool. If imported onto layer 1 the layer can be renamed with no change in tracing behavior. If the image is moved to another layer then the image will be on top and subsequent lines will go under it and the "Arrange" tool will be needed to bring them up.

Enjoy
Mitch

* May 15, 2019, 01:51:55 AM
Thanks Mitch as always you are a great help and we are very lucky to have you there.

Pete

May 15, 2019, 04:32:52 AM
Thanks Mitch! My input is that when I close the active program with the PNG pulled in, that the arranging won't 'tie together'- I keep forgetting to mention it to anyone ( I still need to update my PowerPack) :D

* May 15, 2019, 01:18:13 PM
Pete,
Glad I can help.

Johnny,
that the arranging won't 'tie together'

Not quite sure what you mean by that. Can you explain?

Enjoy
Mitch

May 15, 2019, 01:34:27 PM
The same description as above, I even tried transparet, no go- still coverd all lines

* May 15, 2019, 02:59:36 PM
Okay Johnny, then I have to ask if the image was moved to a different layer after it was imported? In my testing using TC V10, I found that I could not move any added trace lines under the image, not even the arrange tool would do it. Once moved to another layer then the layer would be on top and added lines would go under the image. I also saved the file and reloaded it to see if that caused a problem but no change. I feel confident that you changed the image layer after it was imported. Let me know if your experience with this is different.

Enjoy
Mitch

May 15, 2019, 08:11:58 PM
Oops Mitch! That was a group that was hidden! Sorry 'bout that! Not to worry, this pic of my past 9 months is a no longer valid 'discussion'- it's all been trashed  now! :D