TurboCAD Mac Forum

Register

New TurboCAD Mac 2D/3D Training Essentials

How to 'Fill'
Read 5016 times
* May 25, 2017, 04:39:58 PM
Thanks Mitch

I haven't followed through properly yet on your last reply as I have been trying to write notes on the complete method so I would have somewhere to start from next time I want to do a new drawing. I attach the result as a pdf (might be useful to others, though no guarantees of success).

I did the complete fill of my current drawing remarkably quickly by following my own notes - but then hit a surprise snag. Exporting in AutoCAD format (.dwg. R2000) didn't work. It was a surprise because it had worked with a complete filled earlier version of this drawing. I wonder if there is any obvious reason why exporting has failed? I attach the filled drawing in .tcp format.

Kind regards

Andrew

* May 27, 2017, 12:47:55 PM
Andrew,

What error indication did you get when saving?

Enjoy
Mitch

* May 28, 2017, 04:48:49 PM
Hi Mitch

Screen shot attached

Regards  Andrew

* May 29, 2017, 12:39:01 AM
After downloading your file I exported it as a dwg R2000 with no problem, which is why I asked the question. Try it again and see if the problem continues.

Enjoy
Mitch

* June 07, 2017, 04:33:48 PM
Hi Mitch

I've had some time out doing (successfully) some 3D printing. Now I've come back and tried this 2D export again - without success.

Any thoughts on possible sources of the problem?

Kind regards

Andrew

* June 08, 2017, 04:51:04 PM
I'm testing using the file you posted "Filled etch using notes" 856 KB dated 5/25/2017. This file exports with no problem as a .dwg R2000 using V10 build 1340. I have used two different computers, one on Sierra and the other on El Capitan, both work. Is your file different than the one posted? Try exporting small portions of your drawing, say just the top layer and then the bottom layer. That will narrow down the problem geometry to one layer. Select smaller sections of that layer and export them until the offending geometry is located. In the export dialog box click on the "Selected Only" when exporting. Once the problem is found, use "Check Object" under the "Verify" menu and repair.

Enjoy
Mitch

* June 10, 2017, 05:33:20 PM
Thanks again for your help, Mitch.

I am on build 1317, not 1340. I have tried to download a more recent build but can't see how to do it (I have downloaded TurboCAD Pro 10 again but just seem to get build 1317). I am on Sierra v10.12.4.

I followed your advice and tried to export layer by layer, using a download of the same file you had worked on. The bottom worked OK but not the top, so I tried the top in two halves, left and right - and that worked!

I had to alter a hole size and so modified and re-filled the drawing and attempted to export it in the same way. The bottom was fine but not the top. I then tried doing the top in segments - left half and right half or lower half and upper half. None of these worked. I thought I would let you have a look at the top layer to see if you can do this as easily as the previous file or see what my problem is.

Kind regards

Andrew

* June 10, 2017, 05:41:20 PM
Build 1340 is found in the Patches & Upgrades category.

http://tcmacforum.imsisupport.com/index.php?topic=2660.0

I have downloaded your file and will take a look at it.

Enjoy
Mitch

* June 11, 2017, 06:53:10 AM
Hi Mitch

Build 1340 seems to be the answer. I can export a two-layer drawing in .dwg R2000 format.

I hope this now means I can do the whole sequence of:  drawing -> filling -> exporting  without difficulty.

Thank you for continuing to help me all through this long saga.

Regards

Andrew

* June 11, 2017, 11:33:43 AM
I'm glad to hear that the upgrade has cleared up the export problem. It boggles the mind why the IMSI support page has all the updates for V5 through V9 but nothing for V10. I can only hope this oversight will be corrected soon.

Enjoy
Mitch

* June 12, 2017, 05:11:16 PM
It boggles the mind too that I can buy the upgrade to Pro V10 on 5th April and only get build 1317 and then download it again on 8th June and still only get build 1317. The date on the upgrades urls is 3rd May.

Kind regards

Andrew

* July 29, 2017, 05:54:19 PM
Hi Mitch

I'm afraid I'm back. I thought I had really sorted out filling when i managed to complete my last project satisfactorily. What I've now done is draw a far more complicated drawing and attempted to fill it, using the methods I had summarised in my pdf.

On my top layer, I quickly ran into a serious problem. Having filled the whole etch with my selected colour and brought back the outlines of the components, I attempted to make the area containing the components white by Fill tool + shift clicking on each of the inner boundary lines, followed by 'bring forward'. I tried several times but it simply wouldn't work. I fiddled around a bit with the top layer, changing some things to white - but it was all a bit pointless without achieving the important step.

I then tried the bottom layer. This was perhaps a little more successful but some of the more complex enclosed areas were too much for the fill tool, even when using the Fill tool + shift clicking method on the boundary lines of the enclosed areas (some worked with this, but not all).

I'm not sure what to do now. The attached drawing shows where I got to and perhaps you can find out why I couldn't do more. It's been a lot of work to get this far and it would be a pity to fail now.

Kind regards

Andrew

* July 31, 2017, 05:16:52 PM
Hi Mitch

I tidied up my drawing to help with the white fill stage of the top layer, and this worked. I then started to fill the separate components and was reasonably successful - but only with the simpler shapes. An idea of what I found possible is given by the attachment. The problems now with the top layer are much the same as I was having with the bottom layer (I haven't tried filling the bottom layer of the tidied up drawing).

I seem to be up against a limit to the complexity that the fill function can cope with. I hope you can suggest a work-around!

Kind regards

Andrew

* August 01, 2017, 06:49:18 AM
Hi Mitch

I pressed on with trying to fill the tidied up drawing. On the top layer, I was left only with some relatively complicated shapes that produced those strange extra lines when I attempted to fill. On the bottom layer, I made good progress, though some of the larger and more complicated shapes simply wouldn't fill. I was planning to break these up with thin (0.4mm wide) bridging pieces so the shapes/areas would be less demanding.

The attached drawing shows where I had got to when the friend with AutoCAD rang to say he had filled the early version I had sent him without difficulty and without finding any errors. He will now send it off to be etched and I will stop trying to fill the drawing using TurbCAD. I hope you haven't spent much time on it.

I still in future want to be able to do the whole process myself using TurboCAD, so would be interested in any thoughts you have on how the problems I've had could be dealt with. More generally, I reckon 'filling' is something TurboCAD needs enhanced functionality if it is to be a satisfactory application for preparing drawings for photo-etching.

Kind regards.

Andrew

* August 02, 2017, 01:50:35 AM
Hi Andrew1883,

Sorry, it took so long for me to get some time to look at this. I've been busy doing a laundry room remodel.

The first thing I did was to click on the outer most polygon and the ambiguity popup showed three polygons, two were white filled and the third was blue filled. My response to this was to delete all the polygons and restart with just the basic geometry. The best approach to this is to start with the inside small objects and work your way out. I began by filling all the circles, then the slots. Next, I filled the etchings, found numerous geometry errors as I moved through them. I'm posting some example screenshots. I then filled the polygon for the space between the etchings and then the board.

When the geometry won't fill do a right click on one of the lines and in the popup menu click on "Select Chain" and see if it will go all the way around, if not zoom in and check the points where it stopped. Another tool is "Repair Curves", and again do a right click on one of the lines and click on "Select Chain" and look for errors. The select chain thing also works with the "Fill" tool, select the "Fill" tool then right click on one of the curves and select chain. If that doesn't get it then select the "Fill" tool and shift click each curve. Filling the "donuts" around holes required holding the shift key and clicking just inside of the outer circle then release the shift key to fill.

Enjoy
Mitch