TurboCAD Mac Forum

Register

New TurboCAD Mac 2D/3D Training Essentials

Easier relocation of draw views on sheet
Read 991 times
* February 20, 2015, 01:39:52 PM
As far as i can tell the only way to move a draw view on a sheet is to edit its properties and type in new values for the top, bottom, left and right edges.  When I'm trying to come up with a good layout for several views plus a few cross sections of a complex part while still leaving room for dimensions, this gets very tedious very fast...

It sure would be nice if I could option-click or command-click on a draw view and just drag it to a new location - or even have a "relocate view" option in the view's pop-up menu that would send if into drag-and-drop mode...

>>Computers were invented to help people waste more time faster<<

* February 20, 2015, 02:48:39 PM
Hi Khillig,

You can move views using the gripper tool. To do this the view needs to be deselected so start by selecting the view and in properties check "Frame view", now you can see the frame when it is deselected. click outside the view to deselect and enable the gripper tool. Select the Arrow selection tool and draw a fence around the view, the gripper will now locate itself in the center of the view. Grab the origin point of the gripper to move in any direction.

Enjoy
Mitch

* February 20, 2015, 06:58:59 PM
Ah, I thought the gripper was only for objects!

I learn something new every day - but then I forget at least two other things to make up for it ;-)

* February 22, 2015, 12:58:43 PM
At first I thought this was still not working - whenever I tried this all of the views on the sheet would move together.  But after some playing around I found that by resizing the views first - so they don't share common boundaries - then I can move each view individually.

Good thing I discovered this before I started pulling my hair out, since I don't have that much hair left these days...

* February 22, 2015, 03:09:56 PM
...and just by accident I found that you *can* just drag a view around without using he Grabber; the trick is to click-drag it by the edge, anywhere other than the center or corner of the edge! 

Click in the middle of an edge and you can reposition that one side of the view; click in a corner and you can reposition the two adjacent sides; click anywhere else and you can drag the whole view either horizontally or vertically (but not both at once).

Yes, with the grabber you can move views in arbitrary directions - but only if the view you're moving doesn't abut or overlap with any others. By clicking on an edge you can drag a view regardless of overlaps.

In retrospect this should have been intuitively obvious - but then, most things are once you understand them!