TurboCAD Mac Forum

Register

New TurboCAD Mac 2D/3D Training Essentials

"Compact..." deletes layers
Read 1585 times
* March 16, 2015, 03:42:12 AM
Hi all.
On my second month with TCPro8 Mac. Great program although it definitely has some quirks and bugs... The learning curve seems to have evened out a bit... :-)

Noticed in the beginning that when compacting some 2D drawings layers were lost. Thought I did something wrong as it stopped happening for awhile.

Now I've just progressed to converting some 2D designs into 3D and noticed in one drawing that the last created layer disappears  when compacting. I don't know if it's consistently the last created layer, but it appears that way...

At first I thought I'd assigned the wrong layer to the disappeared item, but after redoing it now four times, that is not the case. After Compacting the item remains visible, but after a few seconds it disappears from view. The layer remains in the Explorer and lists one item in the layer, but nothing is there. Isolate the layer and select all points in layer - nothing there.

BTW, I'm modifying imported dwg files from a colleague who creates them in Accellacad for Windows.

What gives??

* March 16, 2015, 09:03:00 AM
I will take a look at that. What boxes do you have checked when compacting?

Enjoy
Mitch

* March 16, 2015, 10:07:53 AM
All but the last one.

March 16, 2015, 03:52:05 PM
Generally, I have been instructed to only use the 'compact/ flatten' function for  the final completion within a ( Laser) file.what the compacting does do, is rids the errouneous datas that would confuse a laser cutter, ( as the main function as I underrstand it)

* March 22, 2015, 09:45:48 PM
I've not used the compact option for laser cutting, rather I have developed a workflow that prevents artifacts, scraps, etc., from becoming hidden under elements.

If the drawing consists of many complex sections, and has gone through a lot of revisions before finalizing, I end up redrawing some areas on a new layer, following my "rule" of "left to right", "down to up", based on the origin. Closed shapes, arcs, etc., would be done all in the same direction, for when converting to Gcode you don't run into instances where it wants to cut two adjoining lines in an opposite direction.

* March 23, 2015, 01:31:32 AM
Sounds like you're doing a lot of "rework"...

As a newbie I was using the Compact command to get rid of junk as I would in Illustrator and Photoshop, and to reduce the file size. Specifically did not "compact layers" as I want to preserve them...

Since I changed the preferences to "Clear undo on save" it appears my drawings have a lot less "junk" and duplicated lines, one on top of the other. I've haven't found the need to "Compact" since.