TurboCAD Mac Forum

Register

New TurboCAD Mac 2D/3D Training Essentials

Need a progress bar
Read 1099 times
* June 08, 2015, 07:27:48 PM
We need a progress bar to indicate progress during lengthy processing operations.

I've got a pretty involved render going right now. The fans are screaming and it's been doing this for nearly an hour now.

All the app tells me is "Processing" and I've got a spinny wheel. A progress bar would be helpful. Back in V6 there was a dialog line that read out percent completed which was also far more helpful than nothing.

eso

eso
E_Overman

* June 08, 2015, 09:53:16 PM
Yes, please a progress bar, something to let the user know that good things are happening!

Enjoy
Mitch

June 09, 2015, 11:25:27 AM
especially on the PP

* June 09, 2015, 09:13:44 PM
I've had a rendering "Processing" for almost 4 hours now... at least I think it is. The fan keeps changing speeds. I guess I'm going to need to start doing test runs at a smaller size to check settings.

eso

eso
E_Overman

June 09, 2015, 09:53:46 PM
That seems reasonable- my minimac has shortened my 32 hr Tiger render to 11 hes!

* June 10, 2015, 12:00:43 PM
After forcing a quit after 13 hrs on what should not have been that involved I decided to do some experimenting.

Doing a series of renders changing one setting at a time and comparing render time is giving me an idea of what tweaks are taking the power.

Also, opening the activity monitor provides a little insight into what the application is doing.

Using Radiosity seems to be a real killer. Without it the CPU will be running at near capacity. Anti-aliasing following takes about 5X as long to render as the basic Anti-aliasing with shadows. But turn on Radiosity and the CPU only operates at about 50% capacity and I have yet the be patient enough to finish a render with it.

eso

eso
E_Overman

* June 10, 2015, 12:47:22 PM
Good suggestion, I'll speak to development about it.

* May 17, 2016, 07:10:41 PM
Just adding a "ditto" to refresh this one, since it looks like this hasn't been implemented yet...

>>Computers were invented to help people waste more time faster<<