TurboCAD Mac Forum

Register

New TurboCAD Mac 2D/3D Training Essentials

Not able to move group
Read 4025 times
* August 06, 2015, 01:17:31 AM
Reviewing past forum posts it seems this issue has been around for a LOOOONG time, like most other obvious bugs repeatedly reported on this forum...

Why can I not move a group? Objects are not locked, nor the layer.
Why do I have to ungroup, select the objects, move them and then re-group them?!= waste of time.
Am I missing some logic here?

* August 06, 2015, 02:28:52 PM
matso,

If the group is selectable then neither it or its layer is locked. Once it is selected you need a point to snap to to grab it. That leads me to the next question, what snaps do you have checked? In my screen shot I have loaded a bed which is a group object from the symbols library. I can select it but with the snaps checked I cannot grab or drag it anywhere. Enabling other snaps such as Endpoint, Midpoint, or Edge On will allow me to do that. The "Deep Select" tool will now select objects inside a group.

If this doesn't get you going then please post a sample of a group that can't be moved. If there is a bug here I would like to document it and send it in.

The current build available on the IMSI web site is 1157.

Enjoy
Mitch

* August 07, 2015, 06:22:55 AM
Thanks yet again Mitch for you quick reply!

TCM8 Build 1162 (from Tim O.)
In Window>Snaps I have all boxes checked except the last three.

I don't get the "handle" (the four-way arrow pointer) to move the group with, and that is the problem. Seems to be the same issue in all my drawings, at least the current batch I'm working on.
For a sample file, pls use the file I attached to BOM question in other post. Unlock Rod's layer, group the rods and note that they cannot be moved.

* August 08, 2015, 01:50:38 PM
matso,

I did as you suggested and I was able to move the rods. I'm using build 1157 so I can't test in 1162. I did have to disable the auto regenerate or the rods would returned to their original positions because the program is unable to update the views. I have never worked with nested MTS views so I have no advice on working with that.

Enjoy
Mitch

* August 10, 2015, 03:54:32 AM
Thanks - didn't see your reply until now...

Where do you disable "Auto Generate"?

* August 10, 2015, 02:44:04 PM
Preferences -> General "Enable Auto Resolve" check box.

Enjoy
Mitch

* August 11, 2015, 02:01:37 AM
Thanks again for your quick reply!

It's checked, by default.
The only thing I can find in the User Manual is: "Enable Auto Resolve - Immediately resolves dependent geometry when changes are made".
As far as I understand that has nothing to do with moving a group of objects, or am I missing something?

"Resolving dependent geometry" sounds more like resolving the warnings I regularly get about geometry links etc, by going to Edit>Resolve Links... But if having that option checked by default, why am I getting warnings about the file having geometry links that require resolving before saving - should the program not "immediately resolve dependent geometry"?

Tried moving the group with and without "Enable Auto Resolve" checked. Makes no difference. In both cases I can "Translate" the position of the group, but do not get the four-way arrow pointer to drag it...

August 11, 2015, 12:11:55 PM
There may be on a different layer, or elswhere,something outside the group which is needing that link to 'connect all the dots' for a proper save. Back during our version 6 on the other engine, I would get all kinds of alarms when saving ( aircraft rib files).

* August 11, 2015, 09:16:03 PM
As you can see in my screen shot I moved the rods by dragging after grouping them. I do get the four-way arrow and can drag. I'm using build 1157 and do not have build 1162 so I cannot determine if this is an 1162 issue. Auto resolve has nothing to do with moving an object. The reason I disabled (unchecked) the Auto Resolve is to prevent the update of the Model To Sheet (MTS) views. The program is unable to update those views and as a result it will move the rods back to their original positions so the geometry remains correct with respect to the MTS views. I suspect the inability to update views is because you have MTS views nested inside other MTS views and I do not know how or even if that works but it does look like you are having some success with it.

When you get the Edit > Resolve Links when when auto resolve is enabled it means there is a problem and the program can't auto resolve, it  needs you to do it manually. I know that's not much of an answer but I very seldom if ever see that and as a result I have not looked into it.

Enjoy
Mitch

* August 11, 2015, 11:09:32 PM
OK, thanks Mitch. I think I understand it a bit better now.

Nested Draw Views? I guess you mean that I have different objects visible at the same time. Instead of one drawing for each object I've put several individual objects on one drawing by activating several draw view layers, but deleting some of the views I don't need.
I've made one trial pdf drawing (size E) this way and so far it seems to work for me.

However, for sending .dwg files to the machine shop I may have to change my approach. Any advise on that?

* August 13, 2015, 12:49:30 AM
My thoughts would be to create separate views inside the Model To Sheet view. In screen shot 1 I loaded in the assembly example and then did a model to sheet using a file that has only one view (A-Landscape-TopView.tc3). I resized the view to the upper left corner then Zoom Extents to fit it. Using the "New View" tool I added the lower left and upper right views as empty views.

Going back to the original assembly I hid a few parts and did a copy/paste into the upper right view, hid some more, and again copy/paste into the left ISO view. This technic allows me to show different parts of the same object in the various views and avoid the nested MTS views. In screen shot 2 I want back to the original drawing and moved the cap piece. All the views updated. Granted this is limited testing so there may be some problems that come to light later but this would be my approach to doing this.

Enjoy
Mitch

* August 13, 2015, 08:41:08 AM
Thanks for your advise!
Much aprechiated!

* August 18, 2015, 08:48:33 PM
The inability to select a group is a build 1162 through 1166 issue. The fix will be in build 1167.

Enjoy
Mitch

* August 02, 2018, 03:10:21 AM
Hi Mitch,

I am using TC v10.0.5 Build (1359)
This thread is quite old, so I hope this reaches you.

I am also having trouble selecting grouped objects - their doesn't seem to be any point to grab it with the move cursor.
I have found a way round this after looking at this thread and some experimenting.
If i ungroup the object then regroup it, it becomes moveable.

On the attached file is a drawing of some perforations.
I have ungrouped then regrouped the top and bottom shape, which can now be selected. All the other perforation shapes still can't be.

This is a workaround but is of course a pain - any advise?
Can you submit this as a bug?

Thanks.

* August 02, 2018, 11:22:51 AM
Objects that are inside a group can only be selected using the "Select Deep" tool, This tool also shows the control points for the selected item. I see that each perforation is a group and all 12 perforations are inside another group, I don't see any reason for this. Just place all the perforations in a group. You are just creating 12 extra objects for the program to keep track of, not a big deal for a simple drawing like this but when you make large complicated drawings strip out unneeded objects.

Enjoy
Mitch

To move one perforation group, drag a fence around it with the "Select Deep" tool then grab and drag.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 11:27:48 AM by mitchb »