TurboCAD Mac Forum

Register

New TurboCAD Mac 2D/3D Training Essentials

Any Ideas? One rail sweep solid
Read 640 times
* August 25, 2015, 03:42:37 AM
Hi

I don't know if I should have posted this in the problems section but as this is a section dedicated to 3d printing on mac I hope this is the right place to post.

I sent my first STL file to the printer today for a model. First the printer said it was inside out in some parts so I used the M/soft 3D repair service to fix it. I then got a picture back from them that I have attached. It is of the ends of a 25mm x 1.7mm track I want printed. (I built the track using the one rail sweep solid command). I was told the ends have cracks in them and from the picture it certainly looks like it. I know the programs have been able to produce more realistic images BUTů.? Heat stress cracks ???
What would have I done wrong here to create this and is there anyway I can correct it?

Also I am using Pro V8 for mac is there a program you would recommend to look at and test my parts prior to printing in the first instance and that maybe would show the build in time lapse?

At the moment I am trying to get my head around a lot at once and any help is an advantage.

By the way this is an excellent Forum and the answers I have had to my questions have been a great help.

Thanks
and
Regards
Iain

August 25, 2015, 07:01:35 AM
Hello and g' mornin' to ya OzIain! Welcome to the forum! Is this the picture of the 3D repair?
I would not be concerned too much about the condition of the heat cracks: Why? first of all, when you do your export, as you will be communicating about 99.321567% of the time with a Windows driver, do your export as Binary.What the ASCII export does is puts ISO Datas on the file header, which we really don't need. ( @ least until ISO statements are created for 3D printing) This allows a smoother transition in language between the types of drivers (Mac to Windows)I would like to see  more of a view point for your file, now to the details:
Within 1 Rail Sweeping: you have the options for (A )perpendicular ( to the line of sweep)
(B) Rigid: Which will'hold in place' the swept shape, and uses an origin point to start.
(C) Sweep in Place: Similar to Rigid, but not needing the origin point.
 do some eperimenting there.
    Generally, I will use a One Rail Sweep with a leading edge on a wing, or the Vertical Tail to Dorsal fin lines.
 Our next Tool would be a Guided Skin: Where let's say your doing a curve, and the "root" shape is larger than the terminating- End shape by a scale factor, you would click those 2 ends, then when prompted for the Guide curve, click that.
 Our next paragragh of all these tools is the curvature type: as long as all items are the same, you will get good results. if you have a line mixed in with Interpolated Splines, you will get this result ( Pic 1(- I had to run a render of it, which took 42 minutes to crunch- and yes- I exported it as a STL file to play with.
One of the other 'proof of concepts" which I use very frequently, is to run a cover surface on my shape, which will show any math deviations from zero- yes, I've had many failures with a swept wing, due to a non connection of 1 to the 8th digit out( .00000001 Now the solids tools will usually run OK, but the surfacing tools need more accuracy.
 Yes, you did post@ the right location, and I am pleased to be helping you today ( I get off werk @0700, and it's my Friday afternoon now!
More later!
     Johnny