TurboCAD Mac Forum

Register

New TurboCAD Mac 2D/3D Training Essentials

Hunting Cabin in progress
Read 946 times
* January 27, 2016, 04:27:46 PM
Hi all,

Just thought I would post something I have been working on since this forum is really dead.  This is a screen shot from a Walk Through of a small (12' x 16' with 12' x 7' porch) hunting cabin I plan on building this spring and summer.  (Yeah, the lights work without the Romex connected. Speaking of which I need to adjust the light levels.)  I figure it won't take me much longer to build it than it has taken me to draw it.  I get sidetracked by doing things like the picture on the wall.  Just discovered the animation tools today (I thought they were another feature like floating windows) but they actually work.  Kind of excited about that for my next project.

Doug

* January 27, 2016, 07:38:37 PM
daeschner,

Looks good, by the way how did you do the picture?

Enjoy
Mitch

* January 28, 2016, 09:16:04 AM
Hey Mitch,

Yeah, that took a while to figure out.  Importing a jpeg works for the OpenGL image but if you then render it, it disappears.  In order to get it to show in the rendered image I right clicked on the Render Library window and selected “Create from image file…”.  I then selected my jpeg on the desktop and added it to a materials category.  I then applied that material to the picture frame mat and then adjusted the scale, aspect and origin to fit the frame.  I find that the TextureSpace, “auto plane” works well for that.

Doug

* January 28, 2016, 03:03:27 PM
Thanks for posting! And very nice work!

Ironically I was just about to post a request for more posts in the gallery thread. :)
We are always looking for user examples of drawings to help promote the variety of drawings and renderings that can be done with TurboCADMAC

* January 28, 2016, 10:01:11 PM
daeschner,

For pictures, I put the image into the Texture folder and apply it as a decal.

Importing a jpeg works for the OpenGL image but if you then render it, it disappears.

Yep, you can't render an image.

In order to get it to show in the rendered image I right clicked on the Render Library window and selected “Create from image file…”.  I then selected my jpeg on the desktop and added it to a materials category.

There is a Materials and Textures folder. The Materials folder has renders for solid objects, liken it to a block of wood, there is a top grain, side grain, and end grain. Your table has a top grain but the right end has an end grain that extends down below the table including the board below the tabletop. The selected grain can be controlled by using TextureSpace to select the plane or "auto plane" for the program to select.

Textures are like a surface. When a texture is applied it will tile, that is, repeat itself, think wallpaper or floor tile.
for a picture I use a decal. Put up a frame and place a decal in it, any decal. What you want is the decal palette where you can change the decal to your picture image and size it to fit.

The two screen shots show a fire in a fireplace and a moose picture on a wall using the decal method.

Enjoy
Mitch

February 01, 2016, 11:19:11 AM
WOW Doug! That is some gorgeous work there! Thanks fer learnin' this 'ol dog a new trick! ;D