TurboCAD Mac Forum

Register

New TurboCAD Mac 2D/3D Training Essentials

Hollowing out the Goblet
Read 1308 times
* February 04, 2016, 12:55:17 PM
I have  Mac Deluxe, version 8 and i just tried the trial version of 9. Same problem. Running El Capitan, OS X 10.11.3

I can draw the goblet fine. But when I go to hollow it out nothing happens or I get error messages.  Sometimes on the second click I get a box which lists two points. I have tried using the goblet in the tutorial file. Same result.

Any ideas?

* February 04, 2016, 05:10:20 PM
osbornej,

Welcome to the forum.

Step 5 under "To hollow out a goblet" is not as clear as it should be. It is a two-step procedure. After selecting the "Shell Feature" tool, the first click on the goblet selects the entire goblet. Click again and an ambiguity popup menu appears, use this to select just the top of the goblet. That sets where the open part will be. One lesser known feature of this tool is at this point click off the goblet and the goblet will be hollow. You will need to cut it open to see that.

Step #7 should say right-click on the goblet.

Enjoy
Mitch

* August 14, 2018, 08:48:17 AM
Hi Mitch,

How do you also hollow out the base?
I have tried but just get error messages - no lumps left in shell.

Does the shell tool always put a 'bottom' in the shape it's hollowing, what do i do if I want the whole shape hollowed out from top to bottom?

Thanks, arc-eye

* August 14, 2018, 11:09:27 AM
If you followed the tutorial then the bottom should be hollowed out, see screen-shot. How narrow is the stem? If the offset is 1/8" then the stem must be greater then 1/4" or the tool will self-intersect. The lesser known options with the "Shell" tool when asked for the open face, just click on an empty spot in the drawing and the part will be hollowed out with no opening. Another feature is after shelling you can go to object properties in the Inspector and change the thickness of selected faces.

If you can't resolve the issue then post your Goblet drawing for me to look at.

Enjoy
Mitch

* August 15, 2018, 04:38:32 AM
Hi Mitch,

Thanks for your reply.

What I meant is can the shape be made tubular, so there is no bottom or top face.
When using the Shell tool, it gets rid of the top face of the goblet but not the bottom face of the 'base'.

Thanks.

* August 15, 2018, 01:15:38 PM
arc-eye,

Yes, you can do that. When selecting the open face, hold down the shift key and click on the top and bottom. To assist in viewing the hidden end you can rotate using your arrow keys or use wireframe mode. The ambiguity popup can help also.

Mitch

* August 21, 2018, 05:50:44 AM
H Mitch,

Apologies for the tardy response, I've only just got back to it.

Thanks for the tip - that worked a treat!