TurboCAD Mac Forum

Register

New TurboCAD Mac 2D/3D Training Essentials

Please Review TurboCAD MAC - We would love to hear your thoughts!
Read 772 times
* May 17, 2016, 09:35:20 AM
Hello, In order to improve the satisfaction of our customers, we ask that you please fill out the form for the product that you have.

Go here and choose your product, then click the "Reviews" Tab.
https://www.turbocad.com/turbocad-mac/

All reviews, good, bad or otherwise are greatly appreciated.  Thanks so much for your input.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 09:39:44 AM by dtaylor »

* June 27, 2016, 01:09:37 PM
I did a review on TurboCad Pro V9 for Mac and frankly I love it better than TC for Windows. Here's why. TurboCad for Windows is powerful, but it has a very complex interface. It kind of reminds me of the old AutoCad 3D and Pro-E. Don't get me wrong, I can use it, but it just doesn't flow like the MAC version. Anyway, TurboCad for Mac has the ribbon bars, look and feel of Inventor, SolidWorks, SolidEdge and UGNX. Granted the toolset is far less than these high end systems, but I have yet to run across something I cannot do in TurboCad for MAC. I do run into some odd behaviors and have had a few crashes when trying to blend solids together. I'll cover those more within other areas of this forum. The good news is that my work arounds are to try another way to make the model and I have consistently been successful.

I did have to work directly with TurboCad support on a recent matter. They were quick to answer the phone and the people who helped me demonstrated they were qualified to help. I was worried the TurboCad for MAC support was going to have lesser support than the TurboCad Windows side. From what I can see it doesn't.

One other note, TurboCad for MAC is basically ViaCad for those that don't know. The interface is identical, but the file extensions are VCM. The benefit with TurboCad over ViaCad is that the Spacemouse works with Turbocad but it stopped working in ViaCad a few years ago and no new driver has been created nor does it look like one will be.

* June 27, 2016, 04:40:45 PM
Thanks 135boom, we appreciate any and all feedback. 

* June 27, 2016, 05:00:55 PM
I only joined the forum over the weekend, having purchased an iMac and TCMac last week.  Before disagreeing entirely with 135boom (apologies in advance!) I suppose I'd better outline my background with engineering drawings.

I've been doing engineering drawings for 51 (ouch!) years, and using Turbocad for Windows for the last 20 years, currently V15Pro, so I'm well versed in driving it, 95% of what I do is 2D.  Which is just as well, as I'm but one step above rubbish at 3D. I guess that after 50 years of converting 3D objects into 2D drawings, and 2D drawings into 3D objects, my brain is stuck in 2(n)D gear.

Naturally, I have a large collection of TCWin drawings that I need to access.  That was the first shock - I had naively assumed it would read TCWin files, but it won't, and when I convert them to .dxf or .dwg and import them TCMac messes up the dimensions (but strangely, only some of them, not all!) and looses some of the line formats.

The User Guide is best described as dysfunctional, so I've spent the whole weekend struggling to get to grips with the program - which is why I joined this Forum.  I'm well aware that I'm still at the bottom of the learning curve for TCMac, but nevertheless....

I have the diametrically opposite view to 135boom.The interface for TCMac is very poor compared to TCWin, it doesn't flow for me, and it lacks some (many?) of TCWin's capabilities - or I haven't found them yet!  Things like model space and as many paper spaces as one wants, formatting of dimension lines seems to be limited to arrow heads, units formatting is very limited, can't get to an objects properties by left clicking the mouse, haven't found a way of locking a setting (e.g. offset for a parallel line, one has to re-enter the distance every time one does a parallel line, whilst holding down the mouse button), no offset copy, no cancel option on the left button, zooming is very inconvenient (position pointer on item in say top left corner, zoom in to item, it gets bigger but remains in top left corner, whereas TCWin positions the zoomed  item in the centre of the screen).... it goes on.

For me, the change to TCMac is approaching disaster level, so it looks like I'll be loading Parallels/Win10/TCWin onto the iMac.

* August 01, 2016, 09:12:03 AM
I only joined the forum over the weekend, having purchased an iMac and TCMac last week.  Before disagreeing entirely with 135boom (apologies in advance!) I suppose I'd better outline my background with engineering drawings.

I've been doing engineering drawings for 51 (ouch!) years, and using Turbocad for Windows for the last 20 years, currently V15Pro, so I'm well versed in driving it, 95% of what I do is 2D.  Which is just as well, as I'm but one step above rubbish at 3D. I guess that after 50 years of converting 3D objects into 2D drawings, and 2D drawings into 3D objects, my brain is stuck in 2(n)D gear.

Naturally, I have a large collection of TCWin drawings that I need to access.  That was the first shock - I had naively assumed it would read TCWin files, but it won't, and when I convert them to .dxf or .dwg and import them TCMac messes up the dimensions (but strangely, only some of them, not all!) and looses some of the line formats.

The User Guide is best described as dysfunctional, so I've spent the whole weekend struggling to get to grips with the program - which is why I joined this Forum.  I'm well aware that I'm still at the bottom of the learning curve for TCMac, but nevertheless....

I have the diametrically opposite view to 135boom.The interface for TCMac is very poor compared to TCWin, it doesn't flow for me, and it lacks some (many?) of TCWin's capabilities - or I haven't found them yet!  Things like model space and as many paper spaces as one wants, formatting of dimension lines seems to be limited to arrow heads, units formatting is very limited, can't get to an objects properties by left clicking the mouse, haven't found a way of locking a setting (e.g. offset for a parallel line, one has to re-enter the distance every time one does a parallel line, whilst holding down the mouse button), no offset copy, no cancel option on the left button, zooming is very inconvenient (position pointer on item in say top left corner, zoom in to item, it gets bigger but remains in top left corner, whereas TCWin positions the zoomed  item in the centre of the screen).... it goes on.

For me, the change to TCMac is approaching disaster level, so it looks like I'll be loading Parallels/Win10/TCWin onto the iMac.

I understand what you are saying about the differences between TCWin and TCMac. There are many missing tools on the MAC side that the WIN side has. That said, I don't feel like investing the required time to master TCWIN and only jump over there if I have to.
A word of caution, on parallels TCWIN version has issues you will be fighting for a while. You will get crashing because the video management does not work to well. Also, rendering is not to good there either.

I don't have 51 years like you, I only have about 31-32 years. I remember the first PC based CAD systems and have touched all but a few of them. I remember the transition to the first 3D CAD systems and then to the modern interfaces. All were very big jumps. But it was those jumps that remind me of the transition from TCWin to TCMac.
I simply find that although the TCMac lacks certain features i have been able to use the available tools to perform everything I need to do. Yes, sometimes I need to think about it a bit, but now I understand the system far better and can breeze through most tasks.
But in the end, at least people can see contrasting views on this forum. :)

Cheers!