TurboCAD Mac Forum

Register

New TurboCAD Mac 2D/3D Training Essentials

Closing Gaps/ Extruding Profiles
Read 1144 times
* July 01, 2016, 09:30:51 AM
Sometimes when you attempt to extrude a profile you may get an error that says "Gaps detected in profile! Fix the gap and try again."

If the gap is obvious like in screenshot 7.1.1. Other times though it may not be so obvious. How do you go about fixing the gaps in a profile when you can't see them?

The answer is to use the Deep Select Tool. The Deep Select tool (the empty arrow next to the selection arrow at the top of the main toolbar) allows you to node edit objects.

In the case of the profile shown in screenshot 7.1.2 the profile is grouped so I had to first ungroup it by going to Edit-->Group-->UnGroup then I activated the Deep Select tool. Using the deep select tool I selected a line from the profile, (screenshot 7.1.3) grabbed the node at one end of it, moved the node away from the endpoint of the next line and then reattached it making sure the "endpoint" snap was displayed as in screenshot 7.1.4. Then in a clockwise fashion I selected the next line and then did the same with the node at it's other end. I did this until I had gone around the entire object. After doing so I was able to extrude the profile without issue. I'm still not sure which connection had a gap present but I'm now able to move forward all the same.

July 01, 2016, 11:23:26 AM
 Thanks for that Mod Travis! a lot of times for myself, yhr non closure is on the 8th digit ( airfoils) of which some timely reconstructs are necessary!

* July 01, 2016, 01:05:35 PM
The program declares a "gap" anytime that two endpoints are more than 0.00001" apart. This refers to two curves that do not meet as well as two curves that overlap. My approach to this problem is to zoom into where the gap is to see if it is a gap or an overlap. The next thing I do is use the selection arrow. With neither curve selected, draw a small box around the end of one curve and drag the small red box to the end point of the other curve. If you are zoomed in tight this may not work, so the next trick is to nudge the point over using the keyboard arrow keys, of course, the nudge distance will first need to be set to a very small value. The last trick is to use the "join" tool and join the two curves together. If you don't need the curves to be separate lines then you may try this first. Note that using the join tool with arcs will change the arcs to a spline, the last tool in the arcs palette will change the spline back to arcs if needed.

Enjoy
Mitch

July 04, 2016, 02:48:25 AM
"ceptenfers sometimes with a join, you change the line type, which throws in some bizarre curvatures which won't cover/extrude etc!

* July 05, 2016, 11:47:13 AM
You're welcome J! Glad I could be of some help to a TCMac vet like yourself.

Mitch,

In this particular drawing there were no obvious overlaps or gaps so I had no choice but to snap them all into place.

* July 05, 2016, 01:52:56 PM
Hi Travis,

I was not making any reference to your example drawing. The topic is "Tips and Tricks" and I wanted to toss in some more for users to try.

Another trick I found involves the error "Curves not planner". I was trying to extrude in the x-axis but got the error, I selected each line one at a time and found that all of them were exactly at the same point on the x-axis. I selected all the lines at once and noticed that the x-axis data box in the Inspector palette was empty indicating that at least one curve was not on the x-axis as reported. I entered the x-axis in the data boxes (both ends), this fixed the error. The cause of this was too low of a precision resulting in a rounding off error that made the curves all look the same.

Enjoy
Mitch