TurboCAD Mac Forum

Register

New TurboCAD Mac 2D/3D Training Essentials

Shortcuts dropping out
Read 874 times
* August 10, 2016, 08:38:35 AM
Has anyone else had trouble with user shortcuts not working at random?
The only way to remedy this is to restart the computer unfortunately when this does happen it goes on for a while ! ??

* August 10, 2016, 08:31:55 PM
polyGone,

Welcome to the forum.

I have not heard of anyone having this problem. What version and build are you running?

Enjoy
Mitch

* August 11, 2016, 02:15:47 AM
Designer V9 build (1204)
the error is occurring on both desktop and laptop running OS X.11.6 although it was happening on easier versions as well
I have just bought TC pro and will see if this error continues

* December 24, 2017, 11:44:52 PM
I noticed that this is an old topic but it comes up in the search.  I see exactly this problem and have seen it back to OS 10.10 or even earlier, and with versions of Mac Designer and Deluxe versions 7 through 10.  After a while shortcuts simply stop working.  Same things with snaps and the ability to enter dimensions for objects while drawing them.  Quitting and restarting the app fixes all of these for another hour or so.  I知 in the habit of quitting and restarting every hour or so because I can be sure this is going to happen in any longer session. 

Another odd thing:: sometimes when I do this quit and restart process, I ge an error dialog on the restart telling me the document I知 trying to open was created in an educational version of the app and cannot be opened.  Quitting and restarting makes this problem disappear as well. 

So is there some sort of general solution to these things?. 

* December 27, 2017, 12:05:52 PM
As you have seen through your search this is a rare problem.

I ge an error dialog on the restart telling me the document I知 trying to open was created in an educational version of the app and cannot be opened.
I'm not sure what condition triggers this error but I think it is associated with launching the program by double-clicking on a drawing file rather than using the "Load" method. If you are doing this then check the default TC program that is being loaded. Select one of your drawing files by single clicking on it, then in the finder under "File" select "Get Info" and see if the default version is the current version. If not use the drop-down to select it and "Change All" to make it the default. If you don't click "Change All" then the selected TC version will only apply to the selected drawing.

I'm thinking that you have a version mismatch here, that is you create a drawing in your current TC version and then later double-click on it to do farther work and having it load into an older TC version because it is set as the default.

Enjoy
Mitch

* December 28, 2017, 07:23:23 AM
Thanks Mitch.  Double clicking the document files might be a cause, but I don談now if it is the cause in my case.  I noticed early on with V7 that trying to open the document before the app is launched leads to inconsistent results so I just never do that.  Perhaps related to that, I notice there are a few different document file name suffixes that dont seem to e related to any characteristic of the documents themselves.  Is there a description of these somewhere?

I知 familiar with the Open With options.  I assumed I had that right because usually if you dont the icon previews are not right, but I値l check that out.  Would this have to be done at each update?

As for the loss of shortcuts, I guess there is no known workaround for that.  I have noticed that with High Sierra and the most recent TC update for it, this is not happening much, and everything feels a bit tighter.  From the pattern, I suspect memory issues that seem to be becoming more frequent on older Macs with the newer OS versions.

* December 30, 2017, 11:45:20 PM
I've not been able to repeat it with any kind of predictability, but double clicking a document without the application open sometimes leads to that dialog error. 

* December 31, 2017, 11:57:20 AM
I notice there are a few different document file name suffixes that dont seem to e related to any characteristic of the documents themselves.
What extensions are you seeing?

I知 familiar with the Open With options.

Do you mean the options associated with the dock icon? Then no. I was referring to using the Open button under the File menu. If double-clicking on a drawing file to launch TC and open the file at the same time is not part of your workflow then updating the "Open With" under "File Info" won't be needed. If you are referring to the "Open With" under the finder "File" menu then you can directly select the needed version.

The shortcuts not working after an hour or so makes no sense to me, and I have no idea what that could be.

Enjoy
Mitch

* January 23, 2018, 05:22:06 AM
As for the loss of shortcuts, I guess there is no known workaround for that.  I have noticed that with High Sierra and the most recent TC update for it, this is not happening much, and everything feels a bit tighter.
Hi Bayswater

Sounds like you are experiencing same issues that have dogged me and it is with some relief that running MacPro v10.0.2 build(1354) on High Sierra 10.13.2 has expanded time between shortcut failure although jumping in and out of program does tend to bring on the failure more quickly as does using the Wacon.

Having a good clean out of Application>library>Application support>IMSI and reloading sorted out the version notice at start up.