TurboCAD Mac Forum

Register

New TurboCAD Mac 2D/3D Training Essentials

TCMP v10 & MacOS Sierra - do they play nice together?
Read 859 times
* November 15, 2016, 06:23:33 AM
Anybody had any issues with v10 & Sierra?

* November 21, 2016, 01:39:31 AM
OK then, I'll dive in and test the waters!

* November 21, 2016, 08:46:52 AM
I've had a crash or two under Sierra, but most of my issues (some of which have been described in a thread elsewhere here, search for CDTobie) appear to be global to TurboCAD Mac, not Sierra specific. Sadly, they are sufficiently numerous that I can't justify attempting to use the app. So now I'm back to trying to find something else that will do the job. Its not the $129 that's the problem, its the thousands of dollars worth of my time spent trying to understand the application and make it work that is the real cost. And yet, I don't really expect the company involved to spring for a copy of VectorWorks, even though they were willing to buy a second seat of TurboCAD so that I could have it on my laptop...

CDTobie

* November 23, 2016, 03:39:23 AM

You don't need to buy another seat of TCM - you can use the same serial numbers etc on several machines. I don't know how many, I've got it on my iMac and two laptops...
This is the only reason I'm sticking with TCM and have not switched to ViaCAD, essentially the same program, but with the added benefit of direct response on the support forum from the developer Tim Olsen. ViaCAD only installs on one machine.

Cheers,

Mats

* November 23, 2016, 04:44:21 AM
Well, do they play nice?
So far, in two days of work it seems ok, except for a funky system sound when I click on something or zoom in/out - see screen capture. Sounds like when you click on something "unclickable" although I'm not actually clicking on anything...
Updated Logitec wireless mouse driver but made no difference...

Also as you can see, it's dog slow in object selection, but was same before upgrading to v.10.
Sure, my drawing file is 278 MB and contain some complex geometry. I know some of you will say to turn off some layers and/or hide some stuff, but tried that and it does not make much difference. Still dog slow. Besides I need to see/consider many different items while creating the design, so hiding too many things is not an option.

Second screen capture shows dog slowness in screen redraw when zooming in/out (same funky system sound although not actually clicking on anything). I don't know about you guys, but I'm not paid by the hour... :-)

Finally, I'll spare you all my previous ranting about unresolved bugs, but they seem to all remain - you can search for them in this forum if you're interested in what they are. So this "updated" version yet again seems to be about revenue generation (doh, I fell for it again :P) and not actually updating the numerous, well documented bugs inherent in the program.

Cheers,

Mats

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sgtk56326y2s8gn/161123%20clunk%20TCM10%20Sierra%20720.mov?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/noxptj8lcriers0/161123%20slow%20screen%20redraw%20TCMP10%20Sierra%20720.mov?dl=0
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 10:46:54 AM by matso »

* November 23, 2016, 10:35:05 AM
So, I figured out the dog-slow issue. The upgrade to v.10 is a new installation, so you lose all preferences, settings, customized BOM's etc... :-(
Would be nice if this program entered the 21st century and had a File>Upgrade like most modern programs.

Anyway, to speed things up, go to Preferences>Filing and uncheck "Save compact files".

Cheers,

Mats

* December 07, 2016, 04:27:36 AM
The "clunk" sound is back! And the beachball.
Every click or keyboard shortcut generates the "thunk" sound and the beachball for about 5 sec., even clicking on empty space, zooming in/out...
No other apps running.
Really slowing down my work progress...  ::)

Cheers,

Mats

* December 07, 2016, 11:17:31 AM
What build are you running?

* December 07, 2016, 11:31:48 AM
TCMPv10 build 1312

* December 07, 2016, 12:49:18 PM
This was getting unbearable so, I deleted an object on a layer that I recently opened after not having used it for a long while.
That seems to have fixed the problem, although I have no idea why...  :)

I tried Verify>Check Object... but that did nothing - what else can one do to check possibly corrupted objects? Any advise helpful!

Found the object to have lost it's surfaces and only the wireframe remaining.
I copied the object to a new drawing and attached here, in case it can be of help.

Also the original object with was a stp file received from Gates Valve, that I saved as a tcp file.
It seems to behave quite strange, so perhaps someone can tell me what's wrong with this file, or if I did not convert it properly.

Cheers,

Mats
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 01:20:56 PM by matso »

* December 08, 2016, 12:29:01 PM
I've posted updated builds here, perhaps these will help you?

http://tcmacforum.imsisupport.com/index.php?board=5.0

* December 09, 2016, 01:08:22 AM
Thanks!
I'll give it a try and let you know.

Cheers,

Mats

* December 09, 2016, 04:20:57 AM
OK, so here's my first impressions of v10.0.0 build 1317

Face Snap check boxes in Inspector & Window>Snaps still don't stay checked on restart - no surprise there... :-)

Build 1317 seemed to be working fine, I noticed no difference until I opened yet another layer with some objects that I normally keep non-visible in order to speed up screen re-draw.
I posted earlier in this thread about a Gates Dual Strainer object that started acting strangely. Well, the layer I just turned on contains two pumps & motors, also imported stp files.
Same thing as described earlier happened; i.e. opening the layer the object "bodies" are gone, only the wireframe or "curves" are visible, see screenshot. All actions slow to a crawl when the layer is active/visible, and seem to work at normal speeds when its not active/visible.

So, as far as I can gather, it appears TCMP10 corrupts these objects - this did not happen in v.9 - and causes the program to slow down in a big way.

Related question:
These imported objects (strainers, pumps & motors) are usually large files containing every internal part of the item. I'm not interested in the internal parts, only the exterior appearance and dimensions. Is there a way to simplify such an imported stp file in such a way as to only "keep" the exterior visible parts?
Any advise would be of great help!

Cheers,

Mats

December 09, 2016, 09:44:51 AM
WOW! that's pure bravery there Matso! now, I'm just shootin' a 'bullet in the dark, but maybe convert those exterior parts to a mesh? maybe -- just mayyy beee--! :D

* December 09, 2016, 12:46:30 PM
>>only the wireframe or "curves" are visible, see screenshot.
Mats

It appears the facetting is failing.  Can you Edit : Change Resolution : Precise one of the wireframe objects?

V10 uses multi-threaded facetting.  Changing to precise will revert back to V9 facetting.

If that then works, could you send me a file with just the part that is not facetting?

Thanks

Tim