TurboCAD Mac Forum

Register

New TurboCAD Mac 2D/3D Training Essentials

2d Add and Subtract
Read 705 times
* November 19, 2016, 05:28:34 AM
Hi,

Just starting with TurboCAD Mac Deluxe 10, after not running a CAD app for a few years.

One thing that puzzles me is that there is a section for 3D tools such as add or subtract, but no similar palette for 2D functions. Toggle the pallet to 2D, and all it does is hide that 3D section, not provide the equivalent 2D tools.

Next issue was that I could not hatch or fill a square or rectangle. A circle, yes, or four line segments that form a rectangle, but not one created by the rectangle tool. Bug, or missed concept on my part?

Next, I could not subtract one 2d object from another. I can find screenshots at other websites of a TurboCAD pallet (Windows...) that shows the obvious tools for 2d addition subtraction or overlap, but those tools are nowhere I can find them in this product version.

Frankly, I'm a bit confused about 2d objects in general in this app. There don't really seem to be any. A rectangle seems to not be an entity, and a series of lines forming a shape aren't an object, though filling them creates a "region".

Until I can find something covering the tools and concepts for 2D in this app, I'm at a standstill. Everything seems to want to show me how to draw a bunch of 2d geometric line "objects" that aren't actually objects, then move on to 3d. No info on 2d objects and how to manipulate them that I can find. Or if I find it, its for Windows, and uses tools not in my pallet.

Have I bought an app missing these basic tools, or is there some other method I should be using to access them?

thanks, CDTobie

November 19, 2016, 08:39:04 PM
Hi CD and welcome to the forum!
 generally, the 2D functions have a polygon (smart) funtion,2 tools above the Text tool, and sometimes they don't fill without some edit commands. I'll open the Deluxe version in a bit and have a look.
 the subtract tool is for surface/solids and within 2D set, triming is the major tool of choice.

* November 20, 2016, 06:41:49 AM
Thanks for the reply. I can't expect TurboCAD to work exactly like other vector or CAD apps, but here is a screenshot of the "normal" 2D Add, Subtract, and Intersection tools from a Windows version of TurboCAD. Why one needs to learn some unusual trim concept instead of using these functions, which clearly have been coded for TurboCAD but apparently are not in this version, is a puzzle to me.

I'll look up the Trim command, and see if its worth pursuing this application, or if I need to buy something less quirky. By quirky I don't just mean the missing tools, I also refer to the inconsistencies. For example I find if I have a group inside a rectangle ( a rectangle drawn with lines, as the rectangle tool does not make a recognized object) that filling and hatching function differently. One hatches over the internal group, the other fills around it. Where I come from these functions perform similarly to each other, in terms of what areas they fill from the same selection.

CDTobie

* November 20, 2016, 06:58:52 AM
Looking up the trim tools (in the User Guide PDF, which does not have sections linked to the index, and does not have auto-updating page numbers in the PDF, so not only can't you go to a section from the index, the page number in the index is not the correct page number, so a simple look-up turns into a big search) shows a section almost entirely devoted to curves. I get the impression from this and other things that curves are what TurboCAD is about, that rectilinear 2D objects are not really of much interest here.  The various trim functions to not offer an obvious way of creating an object; as I stated earlier 2D objects may not even exist in this app. If I snip and trim and end up with a series of lines that somehow represent a 2d object (though how one indicates whats solid, whats empty etc, in this method is hopelessly complex) the only way to create a 2D object from them is to fill or hatch them. That the object is a fill seems truly bizarre. After all, the fill "region" is a raster, not a vector object, thus won't scale well, and has no flexible properties. So the lines or curves defining it need to remain, and any adjustment must be done to this group (which, I'm beginning to expect can't actually be grouped, without causing other problems) of stray parts, not to the object, AKA: region, that they form, or represent, since no object ever seems to be formed. This all flies in the face of 2D vector design. It appears that moving directly into 3D objects is really the only way to design anything with this version of TurboCAD. Please let me know if my surmises above are true, so I can cut my losses and find a more normal application for the work I need to do.

Thanks Again, CDTobie

November 20, 2016, 11:29:49 AM
 OK CDTobie! I finally got the Deluxe opened, and yes there is a bug with the fill: within the smartpolygon> there is no answer, so when I constructed a rectangle with single lines, and then I got a prompt to adjust with the inspector ( I basically next to never use fill/ hatches) I did get a fill by right clicking a line, choosing select, then left clicking @ a (centered) midpoint, which gave this green steel highlight. From my assessment of your experience level and speed factor, Unfortunately, it may be possible that this program will slow you down too much I have noticed there were some linking hassles within Pro to some ribs I was playing with,  and I also very rarely used the smart polygon tools. there were allso some 'signals' that seemed to need a double usage to get primarily "ignited" with the Mac ( Maverick and I'm a mouseclicker kinda guy, compared to using keyboard commands
Johnny

* November 21, 2016, 08:38:56 AM
Thanks again, JB. The issues are mounting up pretty quickly. There is no indication of location in the top bar for curves or groups, so while I can move a line one unit down by changing its Y location by one unit negative, there is no such way to move curves or groups. So I'm ready to throw in the towel. I guess expecting a competent CAD app for $129 was asking too much. I have since downloaded the free Draftsight Mac app, and it crashes on launch every time, either initially, or as soon as the workspace and palettes are drawn, so I guess TurboCAD is a notch about that, at any rate.

My last question is whether it is worth my time to attempt to get a refund, or are they going to tell me I should have tried the demo version first, and that all purchases are final?

CDTobie

* November 21, 2016, 10:31:52 AM
Hi CDTobie,

Welcome to the forum.

One thing that puzzles me is that there is a section for 3D tools such as add or subtract, but no similar palette for 2D functions. Toggle the pallet to 2D, and all it does is hide that 3D section, not provide the equivalent 2D tools.

We do not have these tools.

Next issue was that I could not hatch or fill a square or rectangle. A circle, yes, or four line segments that form a rectangle, but not one created by the rectangle tool. Bug, or missed concept on my part?

After selecting the rectangle tool look in the data box and see that there is an option for "Single Line" or "Smart Polygon". A single line will hatch or fill, a smart polygon requires holding the shift key and selecting one of the edges. Be aware that this will create a second polygon holding the fill. A fill is always associated with a polygon, delete the polygon and the fill will go away too. A hatch will remain if you delete it's polygon. In some cases a hatch or fill region cannot be found. Holding the shift key and selecting each curve forming the enclosed area to fill/hatch may be necessary. A hatch can go around an internal object but a fill always fills in the entire polygon. When one fill hides another use the arrange option to move the hidden fill to the front.

No info on 2d objects and how to manipulate them that I can find. Or if I find it, its for Windows, and uses tools not in my pallet.

There is translate, rotate, scale, mirror, etc... what 2D manipulation are you interested in?

To select objects, drag a fence around them or hold the shift key and click on each  curve.

Enjoy
Mitch