TurboCAD Mac Forum

Register

New TurboCAD Mac 2D/3D Training Essentials

Beach ball of doom
Read 879 times
* December 18, 2016, 01:27:21 AM
I have situation where the spinning beach ball is making work on the drawing impossible, each time I move or remove a solid or almost any action results in the beach ball spinning for ever. I have had the program just stall for longer than 30mins. I have had to force quite a few times. I have changed the preferences where I unchecked the box "save compact files" as a recommendation. It hasn't worked and can't see any difference. The spinning beach ball is ruining my life and I now can't work on my drawing. It is spinning now as I write this message and I have to force quit again. The program is Turbo cad V10 Delux build 1317
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 01:29:35 AM by Baggyarse »

* December 19, 2016, 07:54:23 AM
Hi Baggyarse,

You seem to have been having problems for quite some time now.  Have you tried safe booting your Mac?  See https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

* December 19, 2016, 09:37:56 AM
Can you post a sample of your work along with a description of what you are doing at the time of your crashes? In many cases the problem can be file or object specific.

* January 16, 2017, 04:23:58 AM
I'm not having crashes at the moment like I have been previously with the V9 but sometimes when I've wanted to undo an action it has not been able to regenerate and gives me an error message and asks if I want to remove items that wouldn't regenerate. Sorry forgotten the exact wording. My main problem is the time it takes for each auto save. I have my settings so that every 5 actions it does an auto save. It takes a about 4 min to do an auto save so a fair bit of time is taken in saving for what I think is a small drawing. File size is 250MB so it's difficult to upload a copy of the file, best I can do is a screen shot. 46 layers each layer is a different component that makes up 4 variations of this one building. I wonder, does TCv10 access all the cores of the processor, I can't believe my processor is slowing things down its pretty powerful for a laptop.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 04:22:14 AM by Baggyarse »

* January 22, 2017, 04:29:21 AM
Help Please, see the last reply in this thread for more info. I have just started another drawing and now have the same problem, is it the way I do my drawings, the computer, or the program. It's ridiculous beyond a joke now.

* January 23, 2017, 12:16:49 PM
This is hard to answer because the variables are many. How full is your disk drive? How much memory do you have? What other apps are running? any background processes hogging memory or processor time? Activity Monitor may help with these questions. As for TC, how many objects are in your drawing? What kind of objects? Solids, surfaces, meshes, renderings? What tasks are you doing that take a long time? Could you post a sample drawing with a list of tasks that take an inordinate amount of time that we could repeat and compare our times with.

Enjoy
Mitch

* January 24, 2017, 08:09:13 PM
I do all my drawings as solids as that is how I taught myself to use the program. The application of the drawing is for 3D printing anyway so it makes sense to have everything as solids. I don't model the buildings as a total solid. It is broken down to assembly parts with keyways for ease of assembly. I use layers to separate parts for modification. The current drawing has 21 layers. I don't see this as a complex or large drawing. The lines are only used to aid in creating solids and creating faces to split solids with. I do have a rather cluttered desk top on my computer I sometimes have preview open with a couple of reference photos or scans of original plans. I also have the internet running also for referencing building materials etc but nothing active or down loading while I'm drawing. Does this help. I will try find out how to reference the CPU usage.

See below the object count window.

Thanks for any help

* January 25, 2017, 08:46:34 PM
Looks to me like you are a little low on memory. Here are three sample drawings that have a lot more free memory. My MBP is a late 2008 model with 8 GB of memory. The Activity Monitor can be found in your Utilities folder and will show memory usage.

Enjoy
Mitch

* January 26, 2017, 03:31:11 PM
Ok agreed. Please excuse my basic understanding and ignorance of computers but I thought the processor memory and speed RAM measured in gigahertz was different to actual data storage space. I have 68gig spare storage space on my hard drive though, I'm a little confused. How much spare memory do I need to keep open.........While I have been writing this I googled clutered desktops and found an article that states cluttered desktops can slow down the performance of Macs, Quote"This supposedly isn't a problem on Windows computers, just Macs. Because of the way OS X's graphical system works, the icons on your desktop take up a lot more of your resources than you may realize:" end quote.  Ok I get it now.

Case closed, problem identified. I'll clean up my desktop and hopefully report back success.

* January 26, 2017, 05:41:38 PM
Didn't work. Cleared off the desk top and still can't find any noticeable difference. I did open activity monitor and noticed that when the beachball is spinning the TCD line turns red and shows more than 100% CPU usage at times. A text box also comes up on the Turbo Cad window saying it's writing Kernel data.

* January 28, 2017, 08:18:08 PM
What task were you doing when the beach ball started spinning?

The only thing that caught my eye is the high PID numbers. Process ID's are assigned by the system when a new process starts. PID's in the low 4 digits are fairly typical but 5 digits are rare and indicate a lot of processes (programs) are or have been running. This might have been left over from cleaning up your desktop since I don't know if you did a restart after. If this persists exploring the cause would be worth looking into.

Another thing to look at is in the "About This Mac" there is a menu at the top, click on "Storage" to see if the disk is getting full.

Enjoy
Mitch

* January 29, 2017, 04:03:18 PM
Thanks for the reply Mitch, I don't understand why I'm having these problems. It seems nobody else is. As you can see in these screen grabs the only other program I have running is the grab tool for capturing the image. I'm not doing any difficult tasks for the drawing just basic adding and subtracting solids. I'm not rendering or shading these are just basic 3D solids for the purpose of 3D printing. The beach ball is a regular thing every save or auto save. Every 10 minutes maximum, but usually less.

See the attached images of my preference settings for filing and storage space.

This issue is making drawing a real chore and is adding so much time to basic tasks. I hope somebody can help as this is doing my head in, and I'm sure this isn't how the program was intended to operate.

Regards
Steve.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 07:16:26 PM by Baggyarse »

* January 29, 2017, 04:10:49 PM
The computer has been shut down and restarted a few times since I decluttered the desk top.

Steve

* January 29, 2017, 07:29:13 PM
Can I get a direct referral to a program developer email or something because its becomming unworkable. It's taken me all day to do something that should have only taken a few hours.

* January 30, 2017, 01:29:20 AM
Hi Steve,

FWIW, I've had issues with long saves etc in the past, not so much now with v.10
I'm running TCMP10 on a 27" iMac (custom model with 32Gb RAM & 3 Tb HD) as well as on my 15" MacBook Pro (mid-2014 with 16Gb RAM 500Gb HD) - I've never been able to see any practical speed difference whatsoever between the two computers and also have long been wondering if the program actually uses all the processor cores to the max. Doesn't seem like it to me, but what do I know about such things...  :D I have "Menu meters" installed with shows the core activity, it rarely if ever does it show the program using more than 20-25% of the core processing capacity, even when saving or rendering very large files...
(The real bonus with the iMac is the amazing 27" retina screen which makes it possible to see so much more of the drawing compared to the MBP).

Be that as it may, Tim O gave some good advise some time ago that seem to have helped me in the speed department.
In TC Preferences>Filing... uncheck "Save compact files" - this had a big impact on my saving speed.
oops, just noticed your screenshot shows you don't have this checked, so never mind...
But you do have "Save Preview image" checked - try unchecking it, might help...

BTW, since day one (and v8) I've checked "Clear undo on save" - not related to speed but I don't understand why one would want to keep undone items after saving...
And, I very soon disabled AutoSave as it drove me nuts interrupting my work.

Finally, I notice one of your screenshots have what appears to be a corrugated roof.
My current project is quite a complex piece of equipment (file size 576 Mb) which has a relatively small object of "expanded metal" i.e. metal grating. The object is kinda similar is shape as your corrugated roof, with lots of curves etc. The big drawing usually presents no problems, but when the layer with the expanded metal object is active (i.e. when it's visible) it radically slows down screen redraw, saving and other activities.
You may want to try to put that corrugated panel (and similar objects) on separate layers and then not show that layer - just a hunch, but it may help in speeding up your saves.

Finally finally, make sure you're not running any other programs at the same time.
Check in System Preferences...>Users & groups... > "Log in items" that nothing else starts up automatically on reboot. Make sure not other users are logged in! Run Disc Doctor, rebuild disk permissions, restart, run nothing else and see if that does not improve things for you.

If none of this, or mitch's advise, works you need to get in touch with dtaylor and/or tech support to get this resolved. They'll need a copy of your file, so put it on dropbox (or similar service) and provide the link, as you can't upload big stuff here.

Cheers,

Mats
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 01:37:08 AM by matso »