TurboCAD Mac Forum

Register

New TurboCAD Mac 2D/3D Training Essentials

Using command key in shortcuts
Read 305 times
* January 06, 2017, 12:42:57 PM
The ability to edit/define one's own shortcuts is fine; but the command ("cloverleaf") key can't be used in the shortcuts definition pane, nor is there a way to remove the pre-defined shortcuts that use this.  Instead they have to be defined via the System Preferences Keyboard settings, and this can lead to conflicts/ambiguities.

For example I want to use Command-1 through Command-8 to cycle through the views Right Side - Trimetric; the first three are predefined, but Command-4 and -6 are assigned to Zoom Window and Zoom Home, respectively, and these can't be changed, leaving these two doubly-defined (and with ambiguous precedence).

Having a unified way to define/edit shortcuts that use the modifier keys - perhaps Control and Option as well as Command? - would be very handy.

>>Computers were invented to help people waste more time faster<<

* January 06, 2017, 04:00:57 PM
They can be changed. In my example, I made "Trimetric" CMD 6 and changed "Zoom Home" to ALT CMD 6. One thing you can't do is change a menu that has the same name twice, such as the "Edit" menu "Group" that has a submenu item "Group".

Enjoy
Mitch

* January 06, 2017, 04:35:17 PM
Yes - but I'd bet you did this with the System Preferences, not with the Shortcuts pane...

* January 06, 2017, 10:11:50 PM
Yes, I used system preferences for this, but assigned only to TCM. This provides the wanted functionally so why not use it? The short-cut keys only support the upper/lower case and function keys.

Enjoy
Mitch

* January 08, 2017, 12:09:54 PM
The problem with this is that pre-defined command-key combos can't be undefined this way - at best they can only be reassigned to something different.  So right now, for example, Command-4 and -6 have duplicate definitions and it's not clear which has precedence (see screen shot).  I don't remember the exact case now but I know that in the past I tried one command-key assignment I tried that didn't work because of a pre-defined assignment that took precedence.

So this is really an issue with consistency of the user interface rather than its functionality; but I've been writing software for 50 years now, so I'm sensitive to this sort of thing...