TurboCAD Mac Forum

Register

New TurboCAD Mac 2D/3D Training Essentials

Setting a scale ratio
Read 179 times
* March 16, 2017, 09:19:04 AM
Hello,
I need help setting the ratio for all my drawings so that 1/2" represents 1 foot in real world. I also need help making that a default template so that I can access it for all subsequent drawings.
Thanks in advance

* March 17, 2017, 08:53:43 PM
I can remember back in the day when I put a piece of vellum on a drawing board I had to consider the size of the item to be drawn vs the size of the paper, figure a scale and then draw it to scale. With the computer age those days are over with. TC draws using a scale of 1:1. When you are ready to print you set the scale with consideration of the drawing size vs the paper size. The computer already knows the drawing size so you select the paper size and scale in "Page Layout".

A custom template can be saved in the 2D or Model-To-Sheet (model is your drawing and sheet is the template) folder depending on its intended use. A 2D template does not have a view where as an MTS template has one or more of them. If your drawings are 3D then the views you may want are top, front, side, and isometric. If your drawing is 2D then a top view is all you need.

If your drawing is 2D only then you can load your template and put a draw view inside the drawing area (the default view is front so change it to top) and set the view scale to 1/24 or 0.042, either one will give you 1/2 = 1. The view will automaticaly scale the drawing, just be sure the view is active and all the drawing you do is inside the view area. If the view is inactive or you are outside the view the scale will be 1:1. The custom template can be saved as a symbol (but not the view) or in the 2D folder. Templates in the 2D folder are accessed using the "New Using Wizard" then selecting 2D Templates in the dropdown window.

I think I could give you more focused advice if I understood your intended workflow and printing requirements.

Enjoy
Mitch

* March 21, 2017, 08:42:45 AM
Thanks Mitch, however I am going to need more info. How do I find the 2D/Templates folder which is apparently in the Applications folder?? I don't understand why this is so convoluted. I want to make a standard company template sheet (we build wine cellars) and then store it in the Templates folder (wherever that is), so that it comes up in the drop down window when using the "New Using Wizard" option. The only folder I see is "com.imsi.turbocadmacpro9ESD" when I use the alt + go in the finder that takes me to the library folder. There is no Template folder in there.
What am I missing here??
Thanks in advance :)

* March 21, 2017, 11:37:34 PM

The 2D folder is found  by going to the Applications folder, right-click on the TC icon and select "Show Package Contents". Double-click on contents, Resources, and Templates. Put your template into the 2D folder. You will be asked for your system admin code to make this move. Re-launch TC and use the wizard's 2D Templates option to find your custom template. If at some point you do not want the frame view dashed lines to show, just uncheck the "Frame View" in the "Draw View Properties" dialog box.

Enjoy
Mitch