TurboCAD Mac Forum

Register

New TurboCAD Mac 2D/3D Training Essentials

Simple fill and hatch problem - with attached file for review.
Read 142 times
* April 03, 2017, 08:26:37 PM
All -

I have been using TC Deluxe on the PC for many years, and have not been quite as stumped by such a simple problem. 

The drawing is in 2D, a basic flow diagram with some piping and valve symbols.  In the course of creating the drawing I have found myself struggling with simple fills and point hatching.  It seems that circles and polygons are treated differently in how the fills are created and when or if you can use point hatching.

There also seems to be a problem with simply setting the "arrange" order to bring fills to the front, especially when the objects are grouped.   Even moving the objects seems to cause fills to shift position or revert to a different order.   

I have also found that within a circle using the point hatch to fill a quadrant (defined by two intersecting lines) ... that if I change my mind and change colors of the fill pattern ... a brand new entity shows up in the inspector that tracts those changes.   

Could someone PLEASE take a look at the attached test file, and see what I could do differently.   The goal is to have a simple "ball valve symbol" that I can GROUP and use over and over in my drawings ... either on top of colored backgrounds or not.  If there is a simple way to do it ... I am all ears.

Thanks for the help.   I am very frustrated and have searched the forums and online manuals to no avail.

* April 04, 2017, 12:29:11 PM
I'm not familiar with the CAD symbol you want so this is my best guess based on your description.

It seems that circles and polygons are treated differently in how the fills are created and when or if you can use point hatching.

For your rectangle, you have selected "Smart Polygon", the circle doesn't have a "Smart" counterpart. If you had used "Single Line" for the rectangle the two objects would have behaved the same. The "Fill" tool requires a polygon to be associated with, using the "Smart Polygon" option only needs the "Show Fill" set to on and a color selected. Using the "Single Line" option to create the rectangle and then using the "Fill" tool will make a polygon and fill it just like the circle did.

Clicking inside a "Smart Polygon" with the fill tool will result in an error "No Valid Hatch Region Found". Why, the "Smart Polygon" is one object. The tool is looking for a series of curves that are closed using the end points of each curve until it gets back to the start point. Should you hold down the shift key and click on one of the "Smart Polygon" sides it will now make a second polygon and fill it. Holding the shift key allows the tool to see the line as a separate entity along with the connecting lines to form a polygon. If the tool can't find a valid hatch region then holding the shift key and clicking each curve forming the region will give you a fill if the selected curves are connected end to end.

For the CAD symbol, I made the circle and added the 5 lines then hatched two of the quadrants.  Selecting the fill tool and clicking on the circle would result in a filled circle, I don't think you want that, just two filled quadrants. Using the "Segment At Location" tool I divided the circle into four arcs, set the fill color and while holding the shift key clicked on the arc and the two sides for each filled quadrant. For the background rectangle, I selected "Smart Polygon" and set the fill color. I dragged the rectangle over the symbol which hid the symbol under it. Set the polygon "Show Fill" to "No", drag a fence around the CAD symbol inside the rectangle, don't select the rectangle. In the "Arrange" menu click on "Bring To Front". Go back to the polygon and set "Show Fill" to "Yes".

The red "Stop Sign" with an R in it is telling you that the associative links are broken. Under the "Edit" menu the normally grayed out "Resolve Links" should now be active, click on it to see if it can fix these links. While in the "Entities" tab you can right-click on the name and select  "Force Resolve Links".

Enjoy
Mitch

* April 04, 2017, 12:50:15 PM
Thank you very much Mitch. 

I think I understand your process, and will work on this later tonight.   On the same topic ... I use the Explorer often to allow me to see what I have selected, as well as the elements within it. 

Is there a reason why changing the fill color on a polygon would result in creating another polygon "entity" even though it is the same shape and location?

I am also still wondering about grouping and copying and pasting the same graphic in several places.  It seems that the fill reverts to the top position ... is that a setting that I have not found yet?  Perhaps "Lock"? 

Thanks again for supporting the group ... what you do is important.

Jim

* April 04, 2017, 08:39:33 PM
Thank you for your kind words of support.

Is there a reason why changing the fill color on a polygon would result in creating another polygon "entity" even though it is the same shape and location?

I did not have any new entity created by changing the fill color or frame color. By "entity" do you mean a new polygon or something else?

I am also still wondering about grouping and copying and pasting the same graphic in several places.  It seems that the fill reverts to the top position ... is that a setting that I have not found yet?  Perhaps "Lock"? 

If you "Lock" the group will stop you from selecting it, you will not be able to make any changes to it or even move it. Select "Edit" -> "Group" -> "Unlock" to select it again.

After copying and moving the symbol I had to select the hatches and "Bring To Front" to see them. Grouping made no difference. If you group everything remember to use the "Deep Select" tool to select any item inside the group.

Enjoy
Mitch