TurboCAD Mac Forum

Register

New TurboCAD Mac 2D/3D Training Essentials

Creating an inset in a solid
Read 129 times
* April 07, 2017, 10:10:55 AM
I have a simple question because I am a newbie. How do I make an inset or indentation in a solid, say a simple rectangle?
The starting solid rectangle would have dimensions of say 4" wide by 14" long by 1" thick. How do I create a rectangle inset or depression that is 1.5" wide by 10" long by 1/2" deep? Something similar to a recessed panel look in a door but in this case it will be for a drawer. I have tried the shell feature but can't get it to remove enough material to approximate the above requirements. Thanks in advance!

* April 07, 2017, 03:01:40 PM
Hi jawick,

Use the "CutOut Solid" tool. Make a rectangle 10" X 1.5" on the surface of the panel. Select the "CutOut Solid" tool set the distance to 0.5" and "Draft Angle" if needed. Click on the panel then hold the shift key and click on each of the four lines forming the rectangle. If you don't see a cut out your distance may need to be changed to a negative value. You can also use the vector option, for vector click on an end corner then move in the direction of the desired cut out to the midpoint of the edge line. That sets both direction and depth.

Enjoy
Mitch

* April 08, 2017, 03:13:02 PM
Thanks Mitch!

* April 09, 2017, 06:09:53 PM
There is another way to do the same thing with a more complex object, for example, text. Type the text and extrude it, then drag the text and place it into the panel. Use the "Subtract Solid" tool to subtract the text from the panel.

Enjoy
Mitch