TurboCAD Mac Forum

Register

New TurboCAD Mac 2D/3D Training Essentials

Countersinks
Read 228 times
* April 23, 2017, 03:30:11 PM
Have just started using TurboCAD Mac Pro 10 for producing 3D models and generally have got on very well. The Boolean operators are amazing!
My problem is that the function for producing a hole with a countersink doesn't seem to work as described in the TurboCAD User's Manual. On page 378 it says - "4. Specify location for hole center". But there is nowhere I can find for specifying the necessary coordinates.
Please advise me where I do this.

Thanks  Andrew

* April 24, 2017, 05:05:00 PM
Unless you are just randomly placing a hole you will need a reference point. There are several ways to do this. The Drawing Assistant can locate center points, midpoints, or references from other objects. You can turn on the grid and snap to grid points. Set a point using the "Point" tool. You can also use the cursor position as shown in the upper left corner of the drawing window. This last option may only get you close, to fix that, after creating the hole, select "Wire Frame" mode and using the "Select Deep" tool with the "Gripper" enabled, draw a fence around the hole and countersink and then move it to the correct location. for a second hole hold the Option key and drag using the Gripper. When you have the solid selected and in "Wire Frame" mode go to the "Object Properties" -> "Display" tab and set silhouette to "On". This will show the holes better.

Enjoy
Mitch

* April 25, 2017, 04:50:29 PM
Thanks, Mitch. Mostly very helpful but some of it goes beyond where my understanding's got to.

"The Drawing Assistant can locate center points, midpoints, or references from other objects.”

I assume the ‘ Drawing Assistant’ is just what produces the endpoint and similar markers when working round a drawn object? I use it all the time without knowing what it’s called.

"You can turn on the grid and snap to grid points.” That’s how I’ve been drawing solid primitives, adjusting their size using the data fields.

"Set a point using the "Point" tool.”  Works fine and can be positioned perfectly using the data fields.

Drawing the countersunk hole then seems to involve guessing which face has which face number. Is there a way of knowing before drawing the hole?

There is also a yes/no choice ‘Project from referenced snap along hole/boss axis’ which I don’t understand. Using trial and error, the choice didn’t seem to have much effect.

"You can also use the cursor position as shown in the upper left corner of the drawing window. This last option may only get you close,”. I tried that and gave up. Never accurate enough.

" to fix that, after creating the hole, select "Wire Frame" mode and using the "Select Deep" tool with the "Gripper" enabled, draw a fence around the hole and countersink and then move it to the correct location.”.

As a general method for moving things to a different position, this feels important - but I can’t make it work!

"When you have the solid selected and in "Wire Frame" mode go to the "Object Properties" -> "Display" tab and set silhouette to "On". This will show the holes better.” Yes, easy to see which countersinks are on the bottom face when they should be on the top!

Regards  Andrew

* April 26, 2017, 12:55:26 PM
I assume the ‘ Drawing Assistant’ is just what produces the endpoint and similar markers when working round a drawn object?
LogiCursor
The LogiCursor allows you to align the cursor with an existing entity, for precise placement. Unlike snaps, which distinguish point on a surface, the LogiCursor displays intersections along an axis, tangent, perpendicular, 45-degree angle., parallel, and co-planar and cylindrical faces.

Drawing the countersunk hole then seems to involve guessing which face has which face number. Is there a way of knowing before drawing the hole?
When you click on a face the edges will highlight, if more than one face is under the cursor then an ambiguity popup will give you some choices to pick from, wire frame mode will show the selection better. As you get more experience doing this shade mode will work for you in most cases.

There is also a yes/no choice ‘Project from referenced snap along hole/boss axis’ which I don’t understand.

What this is telling you is the "LogiCursor" (old name was "Drawing Assistant") has snapped to a curve that is not on the selected surface. Saying yes the program will use the snap as the center point for the hole along the current axis, saying no will ignore the snap. In isometric view, you can easily snap to a hidden edge or other snap point that is on the workplane, the LogiCursor defaults to the workplane until it intercepts some other object that is off the workplane.

" to fix that, after creating the hole, select "Wire Frame" mode and using the "Select Deep" tool with the "Gripper" enabled, draw a fence around the hole and countersink and then move it to the correct location.”.

This only works with the "Gripper". Drag a fence around the hole and counterbore or countersink if any and move it using the gripper controls, holding the "Option" key will drag out a new hole and allow it to be placed as needed.

Enjoy
Mitch

* April 26, 2017, 04:38:11 PM
Thanks Mitch

I think I can position countersunk holes where I want them, though the edge highlighting is not always obvious. Undoing the hole is easy and the wireframe does help sometimes.

I have been trying to work through the manual to get used to using the Gripper and all is OK until I get to Gripper Positioning on page 53. I can’t find how to set the five positioning options shown. Could you help, please (should this be a new thread?)

Regards  Andrew

* April 26, 2017, 09:40:14 PM
You need to select "User Positioned" to get those boxes. Using the gripper is context sensitive after you start moving an item a Distance box will appear in the data window where an exact distance can be entered, likewise, if you rotate then an angle box will appear.

Start a new topic if you want to continue the Gripper discussion in depth.

Enjoy
Mitch