TurboCAD Mac Forum

Register

New TurboCAD Mac 2D/3D Training Essentials

What is a Valid Hatch Region
Read 203 times
* May 28, 2017, 02:11:06 PM
I have a recurring problem applying fill or a hatch pattern to polygons.  If I draw a shape with connecting lines or with a polygon tools, and then try to apply a fill, about 95% of the time I get a message saying "valid hatch region not found".  "Hatch Region" does not appear in the manual, and I'm unable to find any consistent means of dealing with this. I've tried closing any possible gaps in the surface.  That seems to work about 10% of the time, but usually it doesn't.  Sometimes I go back to a place where that message appeared, and the fill tool will work as expected. 

This has been going on for months if not year, in TC Mac Deluxe 9 and 10.  Any suggestions on where to start to get this working consistently are appreciated.  Also, some definition of what makes a valid hatch region would be a good thing to put in the manual.

A possibly related problem is the ability to turn a 2D shape into a 3D shape.  E.g. draw a square, tilt it in 3D and apply the push pull tool.  Sometimes it drags the surface and makes a cube, but usually it doesn't.  Same with the Extrude tool, which works more often, but not consistently.  Typing in the axis and amount of extrusion usually works, but again not always. 

My suspicion is that this is related to gaps in curves, and I noticed that V10 is supposed to have a gap closing function.  I tried that on a  trial version before updating from V9 to 10, but now can't find any sign of this function. 

* May 31, 2017, 05:43:10 PM
Anyone? Ferris?  Can anyone define "valid hatch region"?

* June 01, 2017, 01:48:51 AM
I have a recurring problem applying fill or a hatch pattern to polygons.  If I draw a shape with connecting lines or with a polygon tools, and then try to apply a fill, about 95% of the time I get a message saying "valid hatch region not found".

Fills are associated with "Smart Polygons". If the polygon is a single line then the Fill tool will create a smart polygon and fill that. A hatch, on the other hand, will not work with a smart polygon, it must be a single line. All the curves must be planar and on the current workplane. The Hatch tool looks for an enclosed polygon by going from endpoint to endpoint of each curve until it returns to the starting point. Gaps will stop it as well as overlaps (V10 allows some overlaps). Overlaps can be harder to find and are considered gaps because their endpoints are not at the same point +/- 0.000001". V10 is more tolerant with overlaps then previous versions and will allow them in some cases. Use "Select Chain" to help find gaps, right click on one line and in the popup menu click on "Select Chain" to highlight the polygon. To find overlaps with the polygon still selected, move the cursor around the polygon and look for endpoints to popup in unexpected places.

A possibly related problem is the ability to turn a 2D shape into a 3D shape.  E.g. draw a square, tilt it in 3D and apply the push pull tool.
This video may help. The "Push/Pull" tool needs the surface you are working with to be on the current workplane.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqIugTxyE_s&feature=youtu.be

Enjoy
Mitch

* June 01, 2017, 07:36:53 AM
Thanks Mitch. I'll follow up and see if I can get consistent results with these things in mind.

Follow up question to the first part of your answer: if I use the corner trim tool on a set of lines that make up a polygon, should I expect that to put the ends of lines at the same point?  I would expect the answer is yes for overlaps, but what about gaps?

* June 01, 2017, 11:46:35 AM
if I use the corner trim tool on a set of lines that make up a polygon, should I expect that to put the ends of lines at the same point?  I would expect the answer is yes for overlaps, but what about gaps?

Yes, if the lines cross they will be trimmed back to form a corner. If the lines fall short of crossing then they will be extended to make the corner. If you have several trims inside a hatch region consider using the "Region Trim" tool. The "Repair Curves" tool will find overlaps and gaps but the repair function seems a little weak. Do not confuse the "Trim" tool with the "Corner Trim" tool, they work very different.

Should the program be unable to find a hatch region you can manually define it by holding down the shift key and selecting each line forming the region with the hatch tool selected, just click inside the region once it is defined.

The Power Pack add-on has two tools in the verify menu for finding gaps and overlaps if you have that.

Enjoy
Mitch

* June 01, 2017, 12:44:59 PM
Thanks again.  I'll pursue these solutions.