TurboCAD Mac Forum

Register

New TurboCAD Mac 2D/3D Training Essentials

Axes all messed up after changing "View Definitions" to Aerospace and back
Read 196 times
* June 23, 2017, 06:14:32 PM
I'm running TurboCD Mac Pro v8.0.8 build (1167)

1)  Location of "View Definition" setting - Menu:TurboCAD Mac Pro 8/Preferences/General/View Definitions Box, with choice of "Default" or "Aerospace".  I tried to change it for one of my drawings, but discovered it applies to the whole environment, and impacts all files.

2)  What it does - "View Definition" affects the 'handedness' of the three axes, and redefines the direction from which you view the drawing with Menu:View or cmd-1 / cmd-2 / cmd 3.  The only info in the manual is one sentence: "Changes the definitions of side and front views to reflect mechanical or aerospace design conventions."  (HOW does it change those definitions?  That's left as an adventure of discovery for the user...)

3)  When the problem started - I tried "Aerospace" but didn't like it, so I changed the settings back to "Default".  That's when the ugliness appeared.

4)  Bad behaviors - For that drawing, and also on a different drawing that was done originally in "Default" (that was open when I changed the settings), I'm now back in "Default" and:
     a)  Origin and triad displays on the screen are still oriented as they should be, but when I select the Translate tool and type in values for motion along axes x/y/z, the translation occurs on a different axis, and SOMETIMES in a different direction:
          + entry in X's box moves object in -Y direction
          + entry in Y's box moves object in +Z direction  (yes, different from the other two; +/- is NOT reversed!)
          + entry in Z's box moves object in -X direction

b)  Oh, and now dimension text appears upside down, and I mean right there in the view I'm using to add the dimensions, as soon as I click the second vertex!

Anybody have any ideas?

* June 24, 2017, 09:13:49 PM
2)  What it does - "View Definition" affects the 'handedness' of the three axes,

Selecting "Aerospace" rotates the X and Y axis 90 degrees and yes it applies to the entire drawing workplane.

Are you drawing in a view? What is the orientation of the view? Workplane?

Could you post the drawing? It would be much easier to see the problem.

Enjoy
Mitch

* June 27, 2017, 04:44:06 PM
2)  What it does - "View Definition" affects the 'handedness' of the three axes,

Selecting "Aerospace" rotates the X and Y axis 90 degrees and yes it applies to the entire drawing workplane.

Are you drawing in a view? What is the orientation of the view? Workplane?

Could you post the drawing? It would be much easier to see the problem.

Enjoy
Mitch

Mitch,

I swap views a lot - the six orthogonal views plus free rotate - as I design.  Usually, I start with the front/top/right views (cmd-1/2/3) and free-route from one of them when necessary.

I get that the change between default and aerospace will change the direction of those views.

But that isn't the problem.  The origin and triad (top left corner) show "X", "Y", and "Z" as I expect them, once I've returned to "Default".  But when I select the Translate tool, and type in a specific distance to translate in a specific axis, the translation does not occur in the axis or direction specified - it's like, maybe,  Translate is stuck in the other View Option.

I'm not sure this is a file issue; it may be a TCP8 issue.  I ain't gonna upgrade, though, unless I know this and a couple of other bugs that bug me are fixed - neither 9 nor 10 offered me anything I really needed.

I'm attaching the file - it's a flip-up dartboard backer for my back patio.

* June 29, 2017, 12:10:56 AM
Hi Scott,

Your workPlane is set to some custom setting. After loading your sample drawing I clicked on "Show Work Plane". The Translate tool is moving your parts according to the work plane. Go to "WorkPlane" and click on "Global" to return you to the WCS work plane and the tool will work as expected.

Thanks for posting a sample drawing, a picture is worth a thousand words.

Enjoy
Mitch

* June 29, 2017, 07:13:49 AM
Thanks, Mitch!  I've never used that function before.  All I did was switch back and forth in the Preferences window.  I'll have to learn about this.