TurboCAD Mac Forum

Register

New TurboCAD Mac 2D/3D Training Essentials

Clean uninstall of V10 (build 1340) using Sierra
Read 224 times
* September 25, 2017, 02:47:33 AM
Hi
I have V10 (build 1340) installed and trying to uninstall it cleanly. I have a ticket open with IMSI who advise that I need a clean reinstall to cure a problem I am having. Unfortunately this will mean I have to put build 1312 back but this is not a problem.

The error I get when installing V10 is 'a newer version already exists' and so fails to install.

I have followed their instructions to cleanly remove V10 fully but something or a file is still preventing it reinstalling.

They said to repair permissions but this is not required on Sierra I believe. So I have tried first aid instead.
They also said to 1 - remove V10 from 'Applications' (which I did)  2 - remove IMSI files from 'Users - myname - Library - Application Support' (which I couldn't find) and 3 - remove the IMSI file from 'Library - Application Support' (which I did)

Any thoughts ?
cheers - Bish

* September 25, 2017, 09:14:24 PM
The folder you are looking for is "com.imsi.turbocadmacpro10ESD". It can be found at "Home" -> Library -> Application Support. Remove this, be sure you get the right one, other TurboCAD apps that may be on your system will have similar names.

For step three don't remove the IMSI folder unless TurboCAD V10 is the only TurboCAD app you have. Open the IMSI folder and delete the TurboCAD V10 file only. Deleting this folder will result in your need to re-activate all the other TC apps you may have.

Are you still having the lines on your screen problem that this is supposed to fix?

Sierra is supposed to fix permissions for you, so the option for you to do it has been removed.

Do you have a MacBook Pro? If so you have two graphics boards, a hi and low res, which hi-res graphics card to you have. TurboCAD uses the hi-res display and I'm wondering if an older hi-res graphics card won't support the current V10 resolution.

Enjoy
Mitch

* September 25, 2017, 11:38:39 PM
Thanks Mitch. Will check this out over the next day or so. Yes this is to hopefully fix the 'black lines' !
My machine is 27inch iMac late 2015. 32gb ram 4ghz Intel i7, Sierra 10.12.5 with upgraded graphics card AMD Radeon R9 M395x 4096mb and 1TB ssd so in theory the graphics card should be ok. But that is one thing for me to check in the future.

Will let you know
cheers - Bish

* September 28, 2017, 02:55:06 AM
Hi Mitch. ok not too successful. I cannot find that file anywhere (and I am pressing 'option' whilst selecting GO). I have also annoyingly emptied my Trash too so can't confirm what I have deleted to date. I am still getting the error saying 'a later version is already installed' .
It would seem to me that rather than deleting an existing file it is more the case that some sort of log file has been updated with the fact that I had build 1312 installed originally and then since loaded 1340 (but then what do I know) !. It would probably work if the default build of V10 was 1340. Any thoughts ?
cheers Bish

* September 28, 2017, 02:07:34 PM
Hi Bish,

I cannot find that file anywhere (and I am pressing 'option' whilst selecting GO)

The Library folder is hidden in Lion through El Capitan. The Option/Go combination only works in those O.S.s'. For Sierra double click on the system disk, in the sidebar click on your "Home" folder (the little house icon), then double click on Library and Application Support. Now you can locate the folder you need.

It would probably work if the default build of V10 was 1340. Any thoughts ?

Is your end goal to reinstall build 1340? If so, there is no need to go back to 1312. After the clean install, just reinstall build 1340. I'm expecting a new build soon to be compatible with the High Sierra OS release.

Enjoy
Mitch

* September 29, 2017, 04:58:27 AM
Hi Mitch
ok progress is being made. I have reinstalled build 1340 (hurrah) but a little confused how I achieved it.

The double click did not work for me and I had to use the 'option' and GO to get library/Application support. That folder you refer to was not there. So I was back to my original issue of it saying 'a newer version exists'.....

So I tried  to install build 1340 as per your suggestion but that errors (sorry cannot remember what it said). I assumed then that the link to 1340 in 'patches and updates' wasn't the full install but just updates? (I am probably wrong) !

Anyway I did find the file you refer to in Library-preferences. They were plist files i.e. V9 and V10. I rebooted after deleting them but the same error with 1312 install. I did a full search of 'turbocad' files and found the dmg files of 1312 and 1340 in downloads. I selected 1340 and tried 1 more time. And it worked !! So do you think it was the plist files in Library-preferences all the time ??

So 1340 has installed ok. It accepted my Serial number and activation code.

I now try my 'black line issue' using an 'image' as a decal on a covered surface but when I 'Render to file' it says DEMO MODE : file saves and printing are disabled !!
Any ideas Mitch ???

* September 29, 2017, 11:23:50 PM
Hi bish,

The double click did not work for me and I had to use the 'option' and GO to get library/Application support. That folder you refer to was not there. So I was back to my original issue of it saying 'a newer version exists'.....

Which double click? System disk, Library, or Application Support? The "Home" folder in the sidebar is single click. Since you are using Sierra the Option/go combination for the Library folder is no longer valid.

I assumed then that the link to 1340 in 'patches and updates' wasn't the full install but just updates? (I am probably wrong) !

The link in "Patches & Updates" is a full version. I used that same link to get my copy.

So do you think it was the plist files in Library-preferences all the time ??

No, plist files just support the app with startup info. The preferences folder did not exist in El Capitan so this must be something new in Sierras' file structure, at any rate, you need to find the "com.imsi.turbocadmacprov10ESD" folder and remove it. It should be in the Application Support folder, perhaps you overlooked it when searching.

After installing TurboCAD, the first time you launch the app it builds the folder "com.imsi.turbocadmacpro10ESD" if it does not exist. If the folder does exist it skips this step. If this folder exists because you had an older V10 version installed then you are now running a newer application with older support files and this may be the cause of your current problems.

I now try my 'black line issue' using an 'image' as a decal on a covered surface but when I 'Render to file' it says DEMO MODE

Can you just render to the screen without black lines? What settings are you using for Render To File?

Enjoy
Mitch

* October 02, 2017, 07:30:07 AM
Hi Mitch
ok I believe I am completely fixed now, including the black lines issue, and I would like to thank you for sharing your in-depth MAC/Turbocad file/folder structure knowledge. All folders and files have now been successfully found. The double click I was referring to was the System Disk but I now understand the folder structure. Without dwelling on it for too long I can confirm I can only get into the library folder under my home folder by pressing option/go. I have Sierra 10.12.6 by the way.

As I said above the black line issue also appears to be solved. After getting the Demo Mode error when 'Rendering to File' I have since rebooted and now do not get the problem. So fingers crossed I am 100% there.
cheers Bish

* October 02, 2017, 11:47:22 PM
Hi Bish,

Glad to hear you have got it sorted out.

Enjoy
Mitch