TurboCAD Mac Forum

Register

New TurboCAD Mac 2D/3D Training Essentials

Export to Sketchup issue
Read 58 times
* October 14, 2017, 08:48:42 AM
I'm trying to export a drawing to sketchup to send to a friend and not getting anything. I was not using the latest build, so I've updated to 1340.

The files being created by the export seem to be empty. Is there a bug here? or is there a trick I don't know?

eso
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 09:13:35 AM by E_Overman »

eso
E_Overman

* October 14, 2017, 03:14:33 PM
The Sketchup import/export is for Sketchup 2017. Not being a Sketchup user, I'm not sure if that means it will only support 2017. Was there a major change for 2017? If so then export using .dwg R13. Dwg/dxf formats above R13 use .sat conversion files for saving solids and surfaces that Sketchup will not be able to decipher.

Enjoy
Mitch

* October 14, 2017, 08:32:27 PM
I'm not a sketchup user either. I updated my sketchup to 2017 and while the TCP did create a menu item of a sketchup file the file is empty as far as I can tell.

I exported the drawing as a dwg/dxf and sketchup imported that fine... But that kind of import changes all of my solids to mesh. Another downside of exporting is that my layer file structure gets jacked up since I create certain layers for certain assemblies and then use sub-layers within each assembly for individual parts. AutoCAD doesn't support that either...

I would like to try the R13 export. Sketchup looks like it will now support solids so if I can import the drawing as solids it would be preferable.

The drawing is for my vacuum platter turntable. I'm attaching a photo of the work in progress and a link to the drawing for giggles.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kkscvkt4628jiwv/Loft%20Wall%20Millwork%20Profiles.tcp?dl=0

eso

eso
E_Overman

* October 15, 2017, 04:27:18 PM
I gave Sketchup 2017 a try also. I exported a solid to it and thought the screen was empty at first but it turned out that it was just too small to see. I had to zoom in. The second drawing I tried was a house framing view, that came in at a good size but it said that I had a lot of errors of zero length entities that it would fix for me. Okay, when the drawing displayed about half the drawing was missing. I soon realized that everything missing was in groups, so grouped objects are not supported.

Check your drawing for size or groups to see if any of those are the issue.

Enjoy
Mitch