TurboCAD Mac Forum

Register

New TurboCAD Mac 2D/3D Training Essentials

Two Tricky Questions!
Read 57 times
* December 04, 2017, 02:31:08 AM
Hi All, Have a couple of tricky questions for you, if you can help it would be very gratefully appreciated.

Q.1.  I have one an iMac running V.5 and a MacBook Pro running V.7 - I would like to open a few V.7 drawings in V.5.  How do I save a V.7 drawing so it will open in V.5 with no worries?

Q.2.  I was thinking of upgrading V.7 to V.10, but what would be the advantages of doing so, in other words, what does V.10 give you that V.7 doesn't?

Look forward to any answers you can come up with, thanks,
Chris

* December 04, 2017, 12:39:38 PM
Hi Chris,

The native format for both programs is .sat, however, it will not preserve layers, dimensions, or annotations. If that info is needed then use dwg/dxf format. Use the highest level that both programs support, R12 is the default and does not support ACIS solids, surfaces, or splines. Higher levels do.

The difference between V7 and V10 is too numerous to list here. You can go through the Patches and Update thread and view the changes. The ACIS kernel has gone from R23 (32 bit) to R25 (64 bit), Apple is also moving to 64 bit only. If you plan to use High Sierra then V10 will be required. You can download a free trial version and give it a try.

Enjoy
Mitch

* December 04, 2017, 03:27:23 PM
Hi Mitch, thanks for answering.  Bear with me, I'm a pensioner and slow at these things, not like the 5 year old you need to do stuff these days - I am assuming here that if I understanding you right I should save, or 'export' I believe the option is, in the dwg.dxf format and it should open in V.5 OK.  Is that right.  I did try that before I asked on here and it said the file wasn't found.  I also tried saving or exporting as a 'Concept V5 and V5.1 but that wasn't found either.  Re saving at the highest level, R12 is the default, that is all new to me, not got a clue on that.

Re the Patches and Updates threads, I will go through that and see what I can find.

I will enjoy, once I know what I'm about!
Chris

* December 04, 2017, 03:39:03 PM
Hi Mitch, Unless I'm doing something wrong the Patches and Updates threads don't actually tell me anything concrete - plenty of update downloads, and at higher versions to V7 then some lists of updates, mainly to fix issues it would seem, but they don't actually tell me what V.10 gives that V.7 doesn't have.

Cheers,
Chris

December 04, 2017, 10:07:46 PM
Also Chris, between the 2 types ( different engines) there is a different "where did it go" structure, so upon a start, save to the desktop, that way location for you will be more simple. ( I also use the sidebar for my V8 ( because of powerpack) once i established "who" was going there! My file structures are now @ 24.7 G's! :D
AND There ain't nuttin wrong wit bein' a pensioner! tonight, I don't know to laugh, or feel sorry for, all the folks that need to drive on the AM's Ice!

* December 04, 2017, 10:41:57 PM
Hi Chris,

Well, I'm closing in on 70 myself so I understand. I'm having some senior moments too.

I am assuming here that if I understanding you right I should save, or 'export' I believe the option is, in the dwg.dxf format and it should open in V.5 OK.  Is that right.  I did try that before I asked on here and it said the file wasn't found.

Yes, and if you can't find it be sure to note the folder you saved it in. You should find it there. Also, note the highest version that V5 can import and use that version to export with.

Concepts is a CAD program developed by CSI-Concepts that was purchased by Punch CAD and has evolved into ViaCAD. It has nothing to do with TurboCAD V5.

There is a difference between Load and Import. When a program is loaded it opens into a new drawing space, Importing will add the drawing file into an existing drawing space and combine them. All foreign file formats must be imported so be sure you are importing into a new drawing space unless of course, you intend to combine them.

I don't know of any comparison between V7 and V10, that's a big gap. I don't have V7 and I just can't remember all the changes. Again just download the trial version and give it a test run. You will have 15 days to check it out.

Enjoy
Mitch

« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 10:50:14 PM by mitchb »

* December 08, 2017, 10:07:08 AM
Hi Mitch, have been away therefore no reply.  I have a fault somewhere on my computer, I try to open a dwg file in V.5 that was saved from V.7, I select it from the list, click it and after a bit the programme says the file is not found.  Working on that, I'll be back.  I have a trial copy of DraftSight on my machine to evaluate, I wonder if that's to blame?

Chris

* December 09, 2017, 12:10:04 PM
DraftSight should not be any problem. What version of dwg are you using? My version of V6 only supports up to R24 (2010), not sure about V5, Look at export to see the highest version supported. Exporting out of V7 using a version not supported by V5 may be the source of your problem.

Enjoy
Mitch