TurboCAD Mac Forum

Register

New TurboCAD Mac 2D/3D Training Essentials

Constant blend on added solids
Read 234 times
* January 18, 2018, 07:38:07 AM
Hi,

Hope someone can help.

I have been creating a pretty complicated product which I have constructed by adding different solids (parts) together. The whole solid is together and I have been going around the product rounding the sharp edges before 3D printing by using the Constant Blend' tool. However, this has not gone very well since when using the Constant Blend tool it selects edges of each solid (or part) which have been added together to make the whole product.

This is pretty annoying since I cannot select the individual solids or parts if I wanted to and yet when I do not want to - using the Constant Blend tool - I can.

I do not understand how the programme is seeing the individual parts and not seeing the product as a whole.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Robin

January 18, 2018, 02:31:45 PM
Hi Robin! because your dealing with indivdual surfaces and faces within the solid, there are some times when the constant blend "doesn't" work.
 A pic of a small section would be helpful here, so When Missy gets home from the Puppy Park, I'll do up a vid for you to assist. Meanwhile, let's go through some items:and alarms
1) Is the radius too large? = alarms are Inconsistent surfaces, or Radi too large.
2) Inconsistent surfaces alarm is that one of the surfaces is "shorted", and not making contact with the matching face. Extend that face with the move face tool to get a blend.
3) use dynamic rotate on the views, so that you have insurance of grabbing the proper faces, ( along with zoom) here's a couple pics of one that did the alarms pretty well.       tormentyalater      Johnny

* January 18, 2018, 03:19:09 PM
Hi Robin,

Could you post a sample drawing for us to look at, not a pic but a drawing file. If the two mated surfaces are not flush with each other the Add Solid tool will leave a small gap or overlap that is not visible but the blend tool will see it and cause the very problem you are describing.

Enjoy
Mitch

* January 19, 2018, 05:59:30 AM
Hi Mitch & Johnny,

Thanks for your replies. I have attached a screen shot of the area causing me the particular problem.

When I click on the corner with the constant blend tool I get the select object window which shows two 'parts'. When I select either part I get the error message "Non manifold edge or vertex in or near blend: fillet_4052712.

This happens even if a select a radius of 0.5mm.

I did look at just cutting that chunk out of the model and replacing it with a solid which already has a radius corner, but was not even able to do that.

Hi Robin,

Could you post a sample drawing for us to look at, not a pic but a drawing file. If the two mated surfaces are not flush with each other the Add Solid tool will leave a small gap or overlap that is not visible but the blend tool will see it and cause the very problem you are describing.

Enjoy
Mitch
[/quote]

January 19, 2018, 06:20:03 PM
Hi Robin! Try using the shift button to collect both, OR come in from the top view and then select the 2 faces, OR
2)with the faces tool, you can 1> match 2>move etc. the faces. there are times when the sequencing does matter what you do when, and it seems this is one of those moments, hopefully, you have had the file open a few days now, so by going through the edit> undo, then do a file/save as, you will have a "pickup point" without losing more substantial time.

* January 19, 2018, 10:22:39 PM

this video is for a different program, but it works the same as TC.

http://www.csi-concepts.com/Demo/videos/blending.mp4

Posting the drawing file would be of more help in diagnosing the problem.

Enjoy
Mitch