TurboCAD Mac Forum

Register

New TurboCAD Mac 2D/3D Training Essentials

opening old Turbo cad files in Designer10
Read 49 times
* June 13, 2018, 05:53:53 AM
I can only open an old Turbocad file in Turbocad  Designer 10 if i export it as a dwg,  the unit measurements are then totally out when i come to use that drawing. Is there anything i can do?

any help gratefully received

cheers

June 13, 2018, 04:17:52 PM
Doublecheck your import/export settings, and your preferences, it may be the original construction was "wrong" if importing to the new build.

* June 13, 2018, 07:01:32 PM
You didn't say how old so I will assume the source drawings are from V4, V5, or V6. Also not mentioned is imperial or metric units. The native format for TurboCAD is sat. This format will give you the most accurate transfer but the downside is dimensions, annotations, and layer data will be lost. If this data is desired then dwg/dxf is the next best choice.

The dwg/dxf format has changed over the years so the rule of thumb is to use the most current version that both programs support. For example, splines were not supported until R13 and fonts were not supported until R2011.

There has been an on and off bug where dwg/dxf files have been saved as feet even though a metric unit was used. Things to try that have worked in the past are set the units to feet in preferences and then set feet in the Import dialog box if the scale is off by a factor of 12 then close the drawing and re-import as inches. Once the scale is right and if you want to work in metric just re-set preferences to the metric unit of your choice and you should be good to go.

Enjoy
Mitch

* June 14, 2018, 08:16:30 AM
Many thanks gentlemen , i will give the ideas a try

cheers

* June 14, 2018, 08:25:51 AM
Just to report back, saving the original file with Feet units has done the trick

many thanks