TurboCAD Mac Forum

Register

New TurboCAD Mac 2D/3D Training Essentials

Mismatch between TC file and STL export file
Read 281 times
* September 18, 2018, 03:59:07 PM
I have designed a part in TC Mac Pro 10. When I export it as an STL file for 3D printing, the STL, when loaded into TC as well as bringing it up in an online STL viewer, is the wrong size.

The only selections upon export are binary vs ascii and the units.

The User Manual doesn't say anytihng beyond that. And it says there are no options for import.

Since the import and the online viewer agree in size, what is happening?

September 18, 2018, 05:30:22 PM
Hi Flysail! welcome to the party!
that in and ex is a tad funny, we can import as metric, but as now, not export. SO : I select only my item(s), show only, then set my prefferences ( upper left on screen) to units> metric,mm then finally
Export
yeah, I know, but I figure I'd rather go with this "glitch" and maintain good datas @ home than get some very bizaar parts which are unfixable from most sites!
Johnny

* September 18, 2018, 05:37:31 PM
Thanks.

I should have checked the ratios.

* September 18, 2018, 05:47:06 PM
The STL file format doesn't include units data. You set units on export and select units on import, you might include units in the file name to help remember. You didn't say if the other programs you tried had a units select tab. I think Cura is mm only.

Could you post the file or a sample file for us to look at?

Enjoy
Mitch

September 18, 2018, 10:20:33 PM
Yeah Mitch, all the Slicer drivers are defaulted to mm,@ least most are able to recognize the slicer import as a Standard/ metric sizing issue.
Johnny