TurboCAD Mac Forum

Register

New TurboCAD Mac 2D/3D Training Essentials

How to? draw organ bellow, including leather in 3D
Read 232 times
* October 14, 2018, 04:28:32 AM
Hi.

I am designing a cam mechanism, to move up and down the motor boards of 2 little bellows that produce the sound of a cuckoo (like in a cuckoo clock). I am trying to figure out how to draw in 3D the leather of an organ bellow (which is about 0.3-0.4 mm thick). Obviously this is for showing purposes on the computer screen, as for the design itself this is not needed.

The lines in green is where the leather goes, and also around the sides of the rectangular boards. When I draw the lines, with the intention of create the contour where leather goes, I get the message of curves not planar, but don´t know how to solve this (so far). Any ideas anyone?

I would appreciate it.

Many thanks.

Santiago
organ builder at Mander Organs (London, UK)

« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 04:39:46 AM by sevesp »

* October 14, 2018, 12:57:03 PM
Hi sevesp,

Is this what you have in mind, screenshot 1? If so, can you take a picture of the leather that you plan to use to include it in the drawing. If there is a texture in the Render library you want to use then we can go with that.

Let me know if this is ok and I will tell you how to proceed.

Enjoy
Mitch

* October 14, 2018, 01:38:53 PM
Hi, Mitch.

That is one way I would like to know how to do and also with the leather covering the light brown sides of the rectacular pieces (top and bottom boards of the bellow, only the sides).
Re. Leather I believe there is a white one somewhere in Tcad, which is white with small creases, that would be enough.

* October 14, 2018, 05:44:12 PM
Are you using Deluxe or Pro? There are a lot more textures in Deluxe so I'm hoping you have Deluxe. Textures can also be found on the net, some are free and others are paid for, you might find something there.

The first thing you will need are some cover surfaces. I added some lines forming triangles along the edge of the boards to complete the polygon. Use the Cover Surface tool to make the six surfaces.

Open the Render Library and select a texture. Apply the texture to one surface. In the Inspector Object Properties click on the render tab then the Advanced button. On the right side of the palette in the preview dropdown select "Drawing" then "update", the selected surface should render. You can make adjustments here such as scale, a little bit goes a long way here so just make small adjustments. Changing the texture can be made in the "Value" box, just update after every change. When you are happy click on "Ok".

Select the "Eye Dropper" tool and tap the "Option" key, set the tool for "Render Material" only, uncheck the other options. Click on the surface you just set up, this loads the Eye Dropper, now hold down the shift key and click on another surface, release the shift key, hold down the shift key and click on the next surface, release shift key and repeat for each remaining surface. The top board is a solid so the texture will be applied on all the surfaces. To remove the texture from the top, in the render library select the upper icon on the right side. This icon is for applying a texture to one side instead of all around. In this case, we are going to remove a texture from one side, grab the "NO" circle and drag it to the top of the board to remove the texture there. Render the project and see how it looks.

If you get stuck somewhere let me know and we will work it out.

Enjoy
Mitch

* October 14, 2018, 05:52:41 PM
Thanks a lot. I will try when on my computer (on mobile just now).

I use Tcad Pro 10 but I have also Deluxe.

Beautiful look, very effective and looks very realistic.

I will let you know when I try.

Thanks again

* October 14, 2018, 09:40:08 PM
Ok, glad you like it. See screenshot 2 for the texture file and screenshot 1 to correct a line problem.

* October 14, 2018, 11:31:08 PM
Thanks a lot¡

Santiago

* October 15, 2018, 12:25:49 AM
I followed your steps and I managed to fit the leather in all the places I wanted. Thanks a lot¡

Re. the textures, I found one which is in one of the categories called Displacement.

Another thing I never get right is the direction of the wood in the drawings .... I guess that there maybe another threat somewhere approaching that subject ...

Thanks a lot¡ your help is appreciated¡

Santiago

* October 15, 2018, 02:06:48 PM
Looking good! Post a screenshot in the Gallery when it's ready.

Another thing I never get right is the direction of the wood in the drawings

Much to my surprise, there is very little discussion on rendering here. To answer your question, select texture space and then the X, Y, or Z plane as needed. Auto Plane allows the program to select the plane.

Enjoy
Mitch

* October 15, 2018, 02:51:54 PM
Hi.

After a lot of fiddling and trying I managed to complete the drawing and also changed the design slightly. For the mechanism to work as intended, the little bellows need to be on the same level, so I will need to separate them physically and align them properly (the bellows are ready made).

The 3D drawing does not show a realistic position for the bellows, as one should be down when the other is almost up. Also the position of the levers may need to be position more separated ... I see how it goes when (or if) I build the mechanism.

Thanks a lot Mitch for all the info. provided. It has been enormously helpful¡  ;-)

Santiago Munoz B.
Organ builder at
Mander Organs
London, UK
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 02:56:14 PM by sevesp »

* October 15, 2018, 10:00:05 PM
Looks good, glad to help.

Enjoy
Mitch

* October 17, 2018, 12:28:33 PM
Finally, I put my hands on the project and I made changes .... I need to make the modifications on the drawing, but the Cuckoo mechanism is built and working. I do need now to install an electric motor, then my cuckoo door chime will be completed.

I will post pics shortly.

San

* October 17, 2018, 12:36:45 PM
Pic of the new Cuckoo (working) mechanism ;-)

I would like to post video, but the options here are limited (considering all the video formats available) and also the size, is very limited ... ;-(
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 12:58:29 PM by sevesp »

* October 17, 2018, 03:05:46 PM
Latest design, Isometric view.

* October 17, 2018, 06:02:11 PM
Looks good, post a rendered view in the gallery when it's done.

Enjoy
Mitch