TurboCAD Mac Forum

Register

New TurboCAD Mac 2D/3D Training Essentials

Improvements to Views
Read 102 times
* October 14, 2018, 08:07:53 PM
1) What does "View the Plane" do?  It's not in the documentation, it's not clear what plane it's referring to, but as far as I can tell it looks to be identical to the Top view.  Am I missing something?

2) I would dearly love to be able to select a line or a surface and quickly jump to a view directly down that line (i.e. make it the view normal) or directly onto the surface (assuming it's flat).  I know I can approximate this by "model-to-sheeting" and creating an auxiliary view, but I can't manipulate the object in this.  I can select an infinite plane and make this the work plane, but the canned views only go back to global coordinate views.  The dynamic rotate tool is somewhat awkward and imprecise - at least with my shaky hands - and while I can define a view using (presumably) Euler angles, these aren't readily available in the Inspector data.

3) While we're at it, how about some "quick view rotation" shortcuts?  Shift-Arrow will rotate the view in 10 increments, perhaps Shift-Option-Arrow could make larger (user-definable?) jumps of 30 or 45 to speed things up.  As mentioned in my previous posting I'm often rotating the view by 90 back and forth - not starting from one of the built-in view orientations - not only is it tedious, but I often want to rotate the view by 45 and I can't do this with 10 increments.

>>Computers were invented to help people waste more time faster<<

* October 14, 2018, 10:18:46 PM
"View the Plane" refers to a work plane. It will do what you want in #2. Say you have a flat square that you want to work on but it's not on one of the global work planes. Click on the 3 Pts under WorkPlane and click on three corners, this creates a work a work plane that you can name and save for future use if needed. Click on "View the Plane", enjoy.

As to #3, have you tried the Navigator? If you have V10 then it's located under the Window menu. Other versions will require setting a shortcut. Shortcut -> Window -> Navigator select a key then "Ok". Activate it, there is a lot there explore and yes you can set 45 or whatever is needed. you can also set "User Views". Once you have a view that you want to use again, name it and save it.

Enjoy
Mitch

* October 16, 2018, 11:51:55 AM
I guess I hadn't explored the Navigator well enough - it does indeed have some handy features I wasn't aware of.  As for points 2/3, I was hoping:

A) For a quicker method than having to explicitly define a work plane before changing the view.  In particular to create the view down a line I have to generate an infinite plane using that line as the normal (or draw two lines perpendicular to the initial one at some point on it), then set the workplane to the new plane/line pair, then view the plane.  It works, it's just more steps than I'd like - and the only thing the extra plane/lines are used for is to define the view, so they're just more clutter on the drawing.  (Yes, I can create a separate layer for the user view planes and hide it when not needed, but that just adds another step...)  And for some of the things I'm working on I might need to create dozens of view planes (and then remember which saved view corresponds to which ray I'm following) - having a quick "view down the selected line" option would save a lot of work.

B)  For an easier way to rotate the view by 90 about the current screen axes - perhaps by Shift-clicking on the Navigator's arrows.  Changing the Navigator step size is inconvenient at best - most of the time 5 is fine, changing it to 90 for a single click and then back to 5 again isn't much better than clicking 18 times to get a 90 rotation.

I realize that I can do all of this using the available tools; TCad is pretty powerful, it just could benefit from a touch more friendliness and consistency in the user interface.  In my pre-retirement career I spent a lot of time working on user interface development, so maybe I'm overly sensitive to these things; but part of the reason I retired is that my fingers were wearing out from decades of keyboard pounding, so these days anything that eliminates keystrokes and mouse clicks is good!

>>Computers were invented to help people waste more time faster<<

* October 17, 2018, 05:55:39 PM
To use geometry to create a workplane it takes a least three points. You can also make workplanes by offsetting from an existing plane. For example, if in a top view select workplane -> offset and enter 1 in the data box. A workplane at Z1 is created, you can now draw all your geometry on this plane. You can name and save this plane for later use if needed. If you do have some geometry for reference then use the set origin and click on the point where the plane is needed.

I'm taking a 3D modeling course using Autodesk Inventor and you don't do anything until a global plane or workplane is selected and yes the keyboard and mouse get a real workout.

Enjoy
Mitch