TurboCAD Mac Forum

Register

New TurboCAD Mac 2D/3D Training Essentials

PDF size not accurate when exported from TurboCAD
Read 146 times
* October 18, 2018, 05:54:35 AM
I am using TurboCAD version 10.0.5 on Mac 10.11.6.  The Acrobat Pro DC version is 2019.008.20074.  Iím a novice at TurboCAD but I love learning and using it.  My previous version was from 1999.

I am using TurboCAD to design a graphic that will be laser-cut from a printed cardstock sheet.  The workflow involves exporting a PDF of a 2D drawing, and opening it in Photoshop to create the artwork.  Later, the CAD drawing will be used to do the cutting of the printed sheet.

I had a hundred 11"X17"  (279.40mm X 431.80mm)  test sheets printed on an off-set printer and the laser cut did not line up with the graphic.  It was off by about a millimeter on the right side.

It seemed like Photoshop imported the image ever-so-slightly undersized and it needs to be scaled in Photoshop 100.10% to be corrected.  Further tests revealed that the problem likely occurs as the PDF image is exported from TurboCAD.

As I understand it now, I should "Save as Adobe PDF" as opposed to "Save as a PDF" when exporting from TurboCAD.  I have discovered the PDF  Distiller preferences, and although I adjusted the Default Page Size it has not affected the image being exported from TurboCAD.  Unfortunately the PDF Distiller manual is 180 pages of technical information.  It would be wonderful if I had the time to study and digest the entire manual but all I want to do is simply save a PDF with accurate dimensions and move on with my work.  Is there a certain box in the preferences that needs to be checked?

Here is the most revealing image: If you look at the screenshot "PDF detail.jpg" you can see that the image area seems to be the correct size (279.40mm X 431.80mm)  but the purple border lines -  which are 279.40mm and 431.80mm in CAD - are not on the edge of the sheet at the top and at the right, thus making them too short.  The graphics have been shrunk but the field size has not.

Does anyone have any insight into what I am doing wrong?  I have to complete 80+ projects using this workflow over the next couple of years, so getting it right at this point will save a lot of headaches and guess-work.

Barry S.

October 18, 2018, 10:59:28 AM
Dump that Adobe and just use the Preview with custom sizes all will be just as you need.

* October 18, 2018, 01:43:47 PM
Dump that Adobe and just use the Preview with custom sizes all will be just as you need.

Thanks for the advice.  Where is the "Preview with custom sizes".  I haven't got that dialogue box in my print window and there's no mention of it in the documentation.  (see attachment below)

October 18, 2018, 03:40:30 PM
WWhoops! Are running  Windows machine? this is for Macs! :D

* October 18, 2018, 05:39:21 PM
WWhoops! Are running  Windows machine? this is for Macs! :D

I'm using an iMac.  That was noted in my first sentence.

* October 18, 2018, 06:05:04 PM
Under the File menu click on Page Layout. In Page Layout click on Page Setup. In the Paper Size drop-down select Manage Custom Sizes,  create the A3 size or select if it is already there. Click OK, set portrait or landscape mode then Ok. Back in Layout, set Setup mode to Height and width and in paper size select desired paper size, note that each size has two settings portrait and landscape. Select your scale if needed and uncheck Preserve Annotation Sizes. Check "Overlay Drawing in Preview". If you have a scale do not click on "Fit toArea". It will change the scale. Click on "Align Center" then "Ok". You should now be ready to print.

Enjoy
Mitch

October 18, 2018, 07:09:42 PM
Sorry, wife and dog were barking at me @ same time! :D

* October 30, 2018, 10:07:49 AM
From my correspondence with Adobe: 

"We have reported the issue to the Engineering team and they are working on fix in a future release. I will share an update as soon as the fix/workaround is available.  Thanks for your time and patience on this."

Barry S.

October 30, 2018, 11:17:19 AM
Thanks Station Agent! Because of the size of their learning curve for all that 'stuff' and their 'interrupting' my settings- scaling to their defaults and on and on--- I don't have the timefor, and I honestly havent looked in my 'primary' listings in preview, along with dog and wife threw me off! I believe the key word on your 2nd pic would be in that "layout" scroll tool, on the bottom is manage custom sizes. this hasn't changed since I was running Version 2 on my PPC Mac in 2006!
Johnny