TurboCAD Mac Forum

Register

New TurboCAD Mac 2D/3D Training Essentials

Insert Greek Symbols TurboCad Mac V5
Read 11446 times
* December 10, 2009, 10:41:23 AM
I need some help here. Had a setup with TurboCad Mac v2 where I found the symbols and saved them in pict format and then imported them to version 5. which was cumbersome, but it worked. With TurboCad Mac Deluxe v5, I can't find a format where it will import from a format where I can save a symbol. This is probably confusing, if you do this it probably makes sense. And, is there hope that a more laborious path is possible?

Thanks,

Don Bray

* December 10, 2009, 03:20:13 PM
I would recommend exporting the file from TurboCAD v2 using the .DXF file format. Once this file has been converted to a .DXF file format import the file into TurboCAD v5 then convert this file to a .TC file format. After the file has been converted to a .TC file use the newly created .TC file to create a symbol.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 03:22:37 PM by Monizuka »

* December 10, 2009, 03:40:12 PM
Thanks, I appreciate your response, although I was hoping for an easier route. .

* December 11, 2009, 04:15:18 PM
Can't get it to work. Export from TC2 to DXF (using all 5 available versions). In TurboCadDelux V5 I import. It appears to be working, i.e. bars are executed on the screen, but the figure does not appear. Work area stays blank. Any suggestions from here?

Thanks,

Don Bray

December 11, 2009, 07:35:07 PM
Are there any groups within the DXF? if so, try exporting  with a surrounding box selecting all attributes, then export the total.
Johnny

* December 11, 2009, 08:35:37 PM
What I have been trying to do is import a table of Greek symbols into TC 5 and use that as a source for  individual symbols and then cut and paste to the TC 5 drawing. In TC 2 I can get the table displayed but when I export/import with DXF the table does not make it. Text that I enter on the field in TC2 does transfer so I know that the process is working.  My field of symbols does not.

Tried Select All (with the field of symbols and text turned red) and still didn't make it.

Thanks,

Don

* December 11, 2009, 08:38:23 PM
Just looked at the DXF file using e-drawings and it is an al black field.

Don

December 11, 2009, 11:39:47 PM
Could you post a DXF so I can help?
Johnny

* December 12, 2009, 11:13:45 AM
Here it is, black field and all.

Thanks,

Don

* December 12, 2009, 11:20:36 AM
Here is a picture of the screen of the tc2 file showing the image I am trying to transfer.

Don

* December 12, 2009, 11:52:02 AM
And here is the root of it all, a gif file which can be converted into bmp file, neither of which can be imported directly into TC5.

Don

* December 12, 2009, 01:00:14 PM
Another alternative is to import the Greek symbols in Microsoft Word. But, I ran aground there also, with much the same problem as previously described here.

Don

December 12, 2009, 03:04:27 PM
I'm working on it, but so far, all I have is one line and MMM.as of DXF, it will only import your own created geometries, so tracing over BMP is necesary. I'm continuing-- :)
Johnny
-------
OK Don, I "crashed" my last post, as I went overlimit, so a TCP is not viewable.
now, to get the raw text shown in pic, it will be a long sequence, but true art isn't established instantly! :)
1)convert the original data into text with Text Edit App(Mac)
2)import text with TC2 (2D) watching your file size.( if it doesn't increase, your not getting the data)
3) resize , select all with a (bounding box) and export DXF.
4) imports should be successful ;D
Johnny
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 03:33:24 PM by JBorlaug »

* December 12, 2009, 08:40:52 PM
Could you give me some more detail on getting the file to Step 1?

1.  Are you talking about converting the original BMP file?

2. If that is the case, then how do I get Text Edit to open it and convert?

I am sure that it is simple, but I have not done this before  and Text Edit help does not give me much guidance. Some suggestion of using Preferences, but that step does not appear clear to me. Is HTML format what I am looking for?

I believe that I understand what you are suggesting, if I can get the file into text.

Thanks,

Don

December 13, 2009, 02:02:14 AM
Yes Don, I tried a couple of those types of "import to text< but no go- we need to find the (raw) data source. to make yourself an example, type a statement in Text Edit( I even tried PDF to Text- no go Blank screen), import it into TC2, and export THAT into DXF form. you see, by doing that, you are the parent of the (raw) data, and are able to work with it. this would be qualified as a specialty job, and you could easily grant yourself the (copyrights) honors! ;D
Johnny