TurboCAD Mac Forum

Register

New TurboCAD Mac 2D/3D Training Essentials

Using images with TurboCad
Read 8697 times
January 16, 2010, 03:19:22 PM
Hi Guys,

I am having some problems with using photographs sent as Jpeg and also cutting and pasting into TurboCad.

System outline first:
Imac extreme 24", 4 gig ram, running MacOSX, I have TurboCad Pro for Mac V3

I need to bring .jpeg's ideally with cutting and pasting so I can trace them. I need to produce technical drawings of assorted hardware. I have looked through the import options but can't see anything for Jpeg or Tiff.

I would like to place the image on one layer and trace over it on another or use it to scale dimensions. I have managed to get this to work just twice, there after not so much.

Can anyone tell me if this is possible reliably or if I missed something?

Gratefully optimistic.

Bernie.

Bernard Walsh - Custom Product Engineering (CPE)

1, Coln Square, Thornbury, Bristol, South Glos, BS35 2DA
Tel: 07525 021 077
bernie.walsh@mac.com

Laser cutting, Vacuum Forming, CAD Design, Prototyping, Light Engineering, Industrial Model Making

January 16, 2010, 04:46:19 PM
Hi Bernie! There is also a small scaling discussion in the general forum titled as Scaling TCad5 to imported drawings, but i don't think it's exactly what you need.So,----------
1} go to File list, ) Import
2} choose 2D Raster) click on any subtitle (type)
3} I f JPEG is not on the list, reconfigure the JPEG to Tiff or -or - or mode with Preview, then set That image up for import.
I hope this helps you out. Johnny

January 16, 2010, 06:49:38 PM
Hi Johnny,

Many thanks for taking the time to try to help me out, I appreciate it.

1} File > Import> Import - ok check see that
2} no raster option is listed or Jpeg or Tiff - I have also tried to import bmp & pict with no success.
3} I have tried to import a tiff under bmp. I can select something by selecting all, TC says there is a picture but I can't see it.

I'm still a bit stuffed really :(

Can you think of anything else I could try please?

Bernie.

bernie.walsh@mac.com

Laser cutting, Vacuum Forming, CAD Design, Prototyping, Light Engineering, Industrial Model Making

January 16, 2010, 09:56:04 PM
Could you give us a screenshot of your options? I'm not familiar with V3 at all, I went from V2- 4
-------
 Hang tyte a bit, I'm going to open V2, and 'remember how' the 'unseen' showed up
---------------
OK Bernie, here is the route:
1) open JPEG with Preview
2)Save as: (Pict)
3) Import to program.
 Does V3 have a "locate upper left corner" then it reads the picture? I remember that sequence, then if I had an improperly done import, I then used the deep select tool (one of 3  item select tools) to view
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 10:12:37 PM by JBorlaug »

January 20, 2010, 03:56:38 PM
Hi JBorlaug,

You sir are a genius....  :D

Followed your instructions with these few differences:
Used Preview to change file type to pict. - check
Imported image as pict. - check

Then simply click anywhere on the open work area and the picture is pasted in glorious realtime - ta da!!

Jpeg to traceable image in 5 seconds flat - hours of searching for a solution when all I had to do was ask here.  ;D

* It just never occurred to me before that you had to "paste the image down" by one click of the mouse
After this it behaves like any other selectable element

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

Bernie.

bernie.walsh@mac.com

January 20, 2010, 09:50:58 PM
Bernie I'm glad I can  help with the grin a confidence level! ;D   Johnny