TurboCAD Mac Forum

Register

New TurboCAD Mac 2D/3D Training Essentials

How to make dimensions of an appropriate size for a very small component
Read 234 times
* February 16, 2019, 03:53:18 PM
I am new to dimensioning. I have drawn a component around 5mm x 2mm containing lots of detail. Now I want to dimension it.

I have been through the step by step tutorial and can see on pages 3 and 4 how I'm meant to be able to alter text size, including how to change the default settings. I must be missing something as I don't seem to be able to make it work and can't get the text or numbers to be anywhere a suitable size for the drawing.

My workspace is of course massively enlarged so the component fills half the screen - and I wonder if this is the source of my difficulty.

I hope someone can help as I'm stuck on this - and the dimensioning tools look good to use!

Andrew

* February 16, 2019, 09:10:20 PM
For dimension sizes smaller or larger than the provided defaults click on User and enter the needed size. Once all the parameters for a dimension are set up, right click on the dimension and click on "Set Default".

Enjoy
Mitch

* February 17, 2019, 04:41:11 AM
Thanks Mitch, but how or where do I 'click on User'. Probably seems like a very dumb question!

Andrew

* February 17, 2019, 09:47:58 AM
In the Inspector -> dimension Properties -> Font tab Size. Open the dropdown list and find it at the bottom.

Enjoy
Mitch

* February 28, 2019, 11:14:14 AM
Thanks mitch. I can do what you suggest when simply writing text to the drawing, writing with 0.08mm text and successfully making that the default.

Problems arise, though, when I use the smart dimension tool or the horizontal or vertical dimension tools. I can go through the same sequence for setting the text size for use with these tools - but every time, the size drops back to 0.000. Not surprisingly, no dimensions appear when I try to add dimensions to my drawing. Is there some step I'm missing?

I attach my current draft drawing, in case there is something about the drawing that causes the problem.

Another problem i'm having is in saving and printing pdfs of my drawing. I'll raise this as a separate thread, if necessary.

Andrew

* February 28, 2019, 06:31:32 PM
Since you are working at such a small scale, I'm thinking that your dimensions are off the drawing. You can use my screenshots to set a beginning point. If this is a dimension size that you will be using a lot then set it up as a custom standard. I can help you with that if you run into a problem.

Enjoy
Mitch

* March 01, 2019, 04:37:37 PM

Mitch,

Good progress, thanks for your help.

I'm afraid this statement needs more explanation:  "You can use my screenshots to set a beginning point. If this is a dimension size that you will be using a lot then set it up as a custom standard. I can help you with that if you run into a problem."
I will definitely be using this dimension size a lot!

I am having difficulty getting things exactly as I want them. Examples are:

1.  As I’m dimensioning to 3 decimal places, I would prefer to show all 3 (including zeros);

2. When adding radial dimensions, I seem to have no control over the length of the dimension line;

3.  What is ‘first offset’ as opposed to ‘text offset’;

4.  Having placed a dimension, is it possible to trim the dimension leader or the dimension marker lines;

Attached is a .tcp of my drawing, showing some dimensioning. There is quite a lot of tidying up to do and the dimensions are far from comprehensive.

I am still having trouble saving or printing a drawing like this as a pdf.

Thanks again for your help

Andrew

* March 02, 2019, 11:07:22 AM
In my screenshot, you will see the Standards Manager, set them as needed and save it as a unique name. After saving you then need to select it using the Standards drop-down menu.

All the settings in the Standards Manage are also in the Inspector dimensioning properties palette. You can experiment with dimension settings here and then enter them into your custom manager.

You didn't say what problems you are having with pdf printing, so I will offer you this URL and hope it answers your questions.

http://tcmacforum.imsisupport.com/index.php?topic=2808.0

Enjoy
Mitch

* March 02, 2019, 03:03:24 PM
Thanks, Mitch.

There's a lot to work through there and I will see how I get on. I may be back If I get confused - but it does look very promising.

Regards

Andrew

* March 02, 2019, 04:57:30 PM
Bit of a disaster. I checked the box for trailing zeros and expected to be able to get them added to an existing drawing (my most complete one, of course!). I got an amazing tangle of lines and there is no provision to undo the step.

The standards manager looks like a good facility but am I right in thinking that everything there has to be set before you start?

Regards

Andrew

* March 02, 2019, 06:00:04 PM
Mitch, just in case you can work some magic and restore my drawing, here it is!

Regards  Andrew

* March 02, 2019, 09:57:37 PM
am I right in thinking that everything there has to be set before you start?

Yes, you are creating a new standard that you will be able to select when starting a new drawing.

I think I have your drawing straightened out. I will have to say that your dimensions are redundant and confusing, at least to me they are and they should be placed on the dimension layer.

Note that if you select a dimension with the "Select Deep" tool a small red square will appear at the bottom of the witness lines. These can be grabbed and moved for more accurate placement if there is an issue with that.

Enjoy
Mitch

I just want to add the standards manager.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 11:00:22 AM by mitchb »

* March 06, 2019, 04:12:19 PM
Thanks, Mitch. That helped me to recover things. I am making progress in small steps. I attach my drawing in near finalised form.

My immediate problem is how to produce this drawing in pdf format (probably as A4 landscape). I looked through the link you provided earlier but it didn't seem to help much.

If I use the usual Mac procedure of selecting Print and then Save as a pdf, hardly any of the drawing survives. If I try to Export the drawing, there doesn't seem to be any really suitable option. I haven't tried the Adobe Illustrator option - and I will - but that seems a rather extreme work-around.

I hope you can help

Regards Andrew

* March 06, 2019, 09:39:45 PM
For printing or saving as a pdf you need to start with "Page Layout". From there click on "Page Setup" to set paper size and landscape, clicking on "Ok" brings you back to "Page Layout". Uncheck "Preserve Annotation Sizes" and check "Overlay drawing in preview". Click "Fit to Area" then "Align Center". You can use "Scale Ratio" to adjust drawing to the paper size if needed. Click on "Ok". Select "Print", if the preview is good then either print it or save as a pdf.

Enjoy
Mitch

* March 07, 2019, 04:57:33 AM
Thanks Mitch. That worked really well.

It became clear when doing it that everything that goes outside the image you want a pdf of has to be eliminated, otherwise 'fit to page' overrides any attempt at scaling. So the grid went (not a problem) and so did centre marks. There seems too be no option with these to prevent the marker lines running to the edge of the workspace. Is there?

Somewhere along the way, the simple line drawing tool acquired an enormous arrow. I don't know how and, more seriously, can't find a way of getting rid of it. I wonder if you can help with this.

Thank you very much for all your help. I think I am rapidly converging on a satisfactory end result.

Regards Andrew