TurboCAD Mac Forum

Register

New TurboCAD Mac 2D/3D Training Essentials

Subtract solid
Read 117 times
* January 15, 2020, 03:39:58 AM
Hi Newbie ColinH here again.
I am designing a stool made out of rings of wood held together with dowels. I need to subtract the dowels from the rings.
At first subtract solid was working fine leaving the required hole, but for some reason it has stopped leaving the hole and just removes the dowel. I don't understand what has changed, it does not seem to be a screen redraw problem as i have rebooted and come back to the file on another day also.
Also quite often it is not the dowel selected that makes the hole but an adjacent one..weird
Any ideas, would love some guidance.
file attached.
Cheers
Colin
It gets weirder. If i subtract the dowel from the ring it fails as above. If i subtract the ring from the dowel the ring disappears as it should, if i then undo that and re-apply the remove to the dowel it then works. Why? i do not wish to have to do this to the 100 dowels in the job.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 03:56:33 AM by Colinh »

January 15, 2020, 02:39:13 PM
Check the videos there Corbin: It sounds to me like the settings in the upper left corner of the toolbox needs some adjusting. I'll brb in a bit to work/ look at it
Johnny

* January 15, 2020, 11:46:21 PM
This is weird, I see you have removed the cylinders from layers 23 through 19. At layer 18 subtracting cylinders end. How are these cylinders created in layers 2 through 18 and what was different for layers 19 to 23? If the cylinder is copied the copied one will remove leaving a hole. To do this, select a cylinder with the gripper enabled, drag out a copy holding the option key a fixed amount say 15mm then remove the original cylinder with dependencies and move the copy back -15mm to replace the original, now you can subtract it.
I have not been able to figure out what is wrong with these cylinders but I think it has something to do with the dependencies. I hope your answer to the question above will shed some light on this issue.

Enjoy
Mitch

* January 16, 2020, 11:11:17 AM
Hi mitchb & JBorlaug
When i created the cylinders i was drawing one then copy dragging to make the next and so on. I was a bit slapdash in not putting them on a dedicated separate layer.
This should not have been a cause of the problem though. When it became apparent that they were not leaving the hole one of the things i tried was putting them all on a dedicated layer, as you can see this made no difference. I have now finished the hole creation using the method i stated in my original post.
While i have your attention, when i shelled out the stool a thin skin was left within the ring on layer 12, this is a non manifold element and i cannot seem to delete it, any ideas?
Thanks for your help
Colin

* January 17, 2020, 07:33:04 PM
I found a zero-length line, not a big deal but I deleted it. I was able to remove the partition on the layer 12 part. I had the same issue as you with it being non-manifold but my Power Pak said there were no non-manifold objects. Had to change it to splines which allowed me to remove the face, I then had to convert it back to a solid.

Enjoy
Mitch

* January 18, 2020, 09:28:56 AM
Thanks again Mitch
I was able to convert from solid curves to solid surfaces and delete the non manifold surface along the lines your instructions, I cannot see how to turn it back to solid curves though.
I get this dialogue box.

* January 18, 2020, 10:16:00 AM
I had to use a Power Pak tool to do that. That is why I included the stool.tcd file in the thread above. I'm guessing you don't have the PP addon.

Enjoy
Mitch

* January 18, 2020, 10:50:51 AM
You are correct i do no not have pp.
Will leaving the file as surfaces affect my output.
My intention is to export it into VectricPro, thats another learning curve!
Cheers
Colin

* January 18, 2020, 12:22:47 PM
I have never use VectricPro and have no idea how it will treat a surface.

Download my version of stool.tcd from the above thread, I removed the partition, remaining dowels, the zero-length line and converted the layer 12 segment back to a solid. Take a look at it to verify everything is ok.

Enjoy
Mitch

* January 18, 2020, 01:30:05 PM
Hi Mitch
Ring twelve seems to be a mesh or a crude solid it is not as smooth as the other rings in version you removed the non-manifold surface.
The dowels you removed do not have the corresponding hole in the adjacent rings. I put the dowel on a separate layer so that i could make the holes on one ring keeping the dowel then make the hole on the adjacent ring and deleting it.
I am going have a go at exporting into VectricPro tomorrow.
Thanks for your help
Cheers
Colin

* January 23, 2020, 10:53:44 PM
I have found a better way to remove the partition in layer 12. Isolate layer twelve and convert it to surfaces. Remove the two surfaces of the partition and then use the stitch tool to build it back to a solid.

Enjoy
Mitch

* January 25, 2020, 05:27:45 AM
Thanks Mitch
I'll give that a go.
Cheers
Colin