TurboCAD Mac Forum

Register

New TurboCAD Mac 2D/3D Training Essentials

Curve bend tool
Read 256 times
* February 05, 2020, 12:51:14 PM
Hi
Having real problems with this feature. It has been covered before but I just can't get my head around it. There is a lack of detailed info in the Userguide. YouTube no help either. I have attached an example solid that I want to bend to the curve shown. I have put reference point letters on the solid so hopefully this will help you explain to me where i'm going wrong.
After selecting the solid and then the curve it is then complete guesswork regarding the 2 x 'bend height axis' points and then the 2 x 'alignment axis' points.
Appreciate any help with this. Cheers Mike Bishop

February 05, 2020, 07:34:55 PM
Yeah, as much as I wanted this bend tool to work, it's mechanics are a bit 'twisted' at best! This is one of those "experimental" situations. I would call the curve, then do a point extrusion.

* February 05, 2020, 10:56:55 PM
The "Curve Bend" tool is a little weird to use. In my example, the bar is 9" X 0.5" X 1". You click in the bar then the curve. the first question is "Two points for bend height axis", that's the bar length (9"). this bar will either be extended or shortened to match the curve length. Next is "Select two points for alignment axis". This ends up being the thickness of the curve. Click on the endpoints of the 1" direction and you will get shape A, click on the endpoints of the 0.5" direction and you get shape B.

Enjoy
Mitch

* February 06, 2020, 01:02:34 AM
Happy happy happy it works !!! It was so easy in the end. Thanks Mitch. It is the instructions in TC that are rubbish. I think I did get it working ages ago but forgot what I did and I don't often use this tool but a particular part that I am working on really needs it. Great, I can now get this piece 3D printed and the prototype is finished. Watch this space !! Thanks again.

So in conclusion based on my example (and this reflects what you are saying) I selected the solid, then the curve, then I selected the length ie I to G and then I selected the width ie C to H and I get what I wanted. Give yourself a pay rise Mitch !!   Bish :) :) :)

* February 06, 2020, 08:59:04 PM
Thank you Bish, I can use the pay raise!

If you work with arcs a lot you may have occasion to create an arc to a specified length. The formula is: Length / (( 2 * Radius * PI ) / 360 ).
Length = desired arc length.
Radius = arc radius.

Example: To create an arc 8" long with a radius of 6". Draw an arc of arbitrary length with a radius of 6". Tab into the "Total Angle" data box and enter 8.0/((2*6*3.1416)/360) return. The data box has some trouble parsing out spaces so avoid using them.

The arc length can be measured using the "Length Dimension" tool or right-clicking on the arc and reading the arc data in the popup menu.

Enjoy
Mitch

* February 07, 2020, 03:27:37 AM
Hi Mitch
oh cool nice one. I'll file that away for future reference with my other interesting TC tips
Bish