New TurboCAD Mac 2D/3D Training Essentials

PLT files
Will Turbo Cad open0
How to convert0

Total Members Voted: 0

PLT files
Read 7696 times
* November 10, 2008, 10:28:49 AM
I have five plt files i need to convert to pdf. Turbo Cad doesn't seem to open these files. Am I missing something or can anyone recommend an application that will allow me to do so? I have an HP Design Jet as well...not sure if there is a way to view and convert using some HP software??

Thank you

* December 26, 2008, 02:43:27 PM
I did a google search on ".plt to .pdf" 

There is some conversion software -- all Windows of course.

This seems to be the best link I could find.

http://discussion.autodesk.com/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=4934942

The discussion above mentions GhostScript http://www.ghostscript.com/ -- there IS a Mac version  -- It is FREE, but donations are welcome.  You might wnat to try this.  If it solves your problem send a donation -- keeps programmers making things that solve our problems.

* May 27, 2009, 08:33:59 PM
Beachbum,

I realize this is several months late, but ...

I have to deal with .plt (hp/gl) files regularly in my Mac environment. It was a real challenge for a while, as Mac guys were generally unfamiliar with them, and even software companies that dealt with .plt files for their Windows versions ignored them on the Mac.

Here's what I use to 'crack the case':

(i) CorelDraw - has fairly decent HPGL import/export filters, and version 10 runs on OX X Tiger. You can probably find it on eBay cheap;

(ii) Cadintosh - a $30 shareware program that allows HPGL import and export, to other formats, of course; and,

(iii) My new favorite -- the Unix command line program HP2XX, which can be installed via Fink and run from the Terminal. It converts HP/GL files (.plt) to a myriad of formats, including DXF.

I hope this helps. Frankly, since TurboCAD for Windows handles this format, you would think the Mac version would too. But, even Adobe Illustrator only supports .plt files in the Windows version, not the Mac.

The puzzling part of this whole thing is this -- HP/GL is not that complicated a language. I had an Apple II program (RoboCAD) that generated these files with less memory than a musical greeting card has today.

Hugh Hood...